Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just a couple more questions about Switzerland

May 21st, 2003, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

With lots of advice from the Fodors Forum we have decided to stay in Vevey and do day trips to Gruyeres, Gstaad, possibly Murren (a loonng day trip)and around Vevey to the vineyards, Montreux, etc. Hope to do some hiking and lots of walking. We will be there just one week from June 4-11. What do you recommend for clothes? I've checked weatherunderground - looks like rain all this week. I hope it gets it out of its system before we get there! Also, any particular food or wine we should be sure to try?
May 21st, 2003, 02:10 PM

My standard equipment for Switzerland always includes my Polarfleece pullover, a Goretex shell, and rainpants.
I also pack an umbrella for city use.
It all depends on how high you go on your walks.
If you go from Grindelwald to First, and the day is windy, you will need lightweight gloves. I always have a golf cap along so Ican pull my jacket hood up. The bill of the cap keeps the hood out of my eyes.
May 21st, 2003, 02:25 PM

Hi BevK,

Layers, as always. Maybe start with a t-shirt and long sleeve cotton shirt and a raincoat, and then undress as the day warms up! Even in August the mornings are chilly in Montreux. I've been there in May and was actually chilly during the day.

For your mountain excursions, either add the polarfleece layer as bob brown suggests, or your raincoat's liner.

Use sturdy shoes that can stand the wet! And a hat is always good against both rain & sun, and adds warmth if you get caught in the cold.

Hope this helps!

s
May 21st, 2003, 06:01 PM

Yes, head protection is a good idea.
What if you are up on a high slope above tree line and get caught in a sleet storm? I have had that happen to me, usually above 7,000 feet, but that is where the best views are!!
May 21st, 2003, 08:15 PM

Drink Swiss white wines made in that region, just the "everyday" ones are fabulous. Order a carafe or pitcher in restaurants, or get a bottle at the grocery. Don't let the screwtop scare you off, that's just how it's done for whites.

In Vevey each cafe has a special written on a chalkboard outside, it's a fixed-price at lunch time. Choose the cafe where you like the meal posted for the day. (This is a rule or tradition for providing reasonable priced food for workers, is my understanding.)

Weather can be tricky. I was there last July and there was an unseasonable heatwave. It was 90+ degrees F in Montreux (I had to run out and buy a pair of shorts!).
May 21st, 2003, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - I think I need to pack warmer clothes than I was planning on. It's 107 here in Scottsdale today and we haven't had rain for two months so I have a hard time remembering it's not nearly that hot everywhere! Do you think capri pants and sandals will be appropriate around Vevey and Montreux or should I plan on long pants? Every woman's dilemna - what do I wear?! I'll bet my husband hasn't spent two minutes thinking about the clothes he'll take along...Oh, one more question - any restaurant recommendations for the Vevey-Montreux area? Thanks again for all of your help.
May 21st, 2003, 09:20 PM

Capris and sandals are fine for Vevey. In 4 trips to the area, I have never taken fleece or raingear (and one time was in November), but I was in town not trekking the mountainsides. I'd go with layers (tank or knit top + cardigan combo works nicely), maybe a jacket of some sort for evenings or rain. Pants, capris, &/or skirts. Sandals and comfortable shoes.

p.s. Vevey has some very nice women's clothing stores ;-)
May 22nd, 2003, 05:01 AM

Hi BevK,

I just want to suggest that sandals may be a little chilly for early June, even in the cities -- especially if you're used to Arizona heat! Be sure to bring an extra "mountain day" pair of shoes that you can wear if your feet do get cold. Or maybe substitute some "Keds" type sneaker.

Here are my favorite restaurants (sorry, heavily centered on Montreux):

Hotel Restaurant du Pont, 12 rue du Pont (in the old town). I had a lunch there of ravioli w/cheese sauce with white Alba truffles shaved over. Incredible. Most of the other folks around me were laborers/workers in their scruffy blue overalls -- not at all a fancy place. Has its own cat! Good prices. Their "menu" that day was horse, so I ordered a la carte . . .

La Rouvenaz, rue du Marche, just across the street from the lake and downhill from the train station. Good pizzas/Italian specialties. Just added a wine bar. Other diners seemed to be local young professionals (students from the hotel schools nearby).

Taverne de Chateau de Chillon, Ave du Chillon 24. Across the street from Chillon. Ok, geared for the tourists, but a good meal at a decent price. Good selection. When I was there in Nov, the other diners seemed to be older businessmen.

Terrasses du Pavillon, at the Port de Territet. Just for coffee and cake or wine. Best views of the lake, in my opinion. Quiet area.

Auberge de Rivaz, across the street from the dock in Rivaz. I had a wonderful white asparagus menu there one year, with a great local white wine. Nice outdoor terrace if you get there early -- it fills up quickly with locals.

Hostellerie de Geneve, for pizza (but I think you're staying here, right?).

Have a great time!

s
May 22nd, 2003, 05:13 AM

Hi Bev,

OK, I'll add some of the local food:
Cheese slice in the Gstaad area, either plain, or with ham and/or a fried egg on top.
Taste all of the local cheeses. They are perfect with a glass of wine.
You should visit one of the small cheese factories either in Gruyeres or in Chateaux d'Oex.
Try the famous white wines from the Lake Geneva area, such as Fendant, Fechy, Saint-Saphorin.

As for the weather. Yes, so far this week has been cold, windy, rainy.
BUT, as from tomorrow, things will change considerably.
They annouce real summer temperatures.
Definitely weather for sandals.
So, in fact, you never can tell. One day so, one day so.
Bring layers, sandals and hiking boots.

s:
hi, good to see you!
May 22nd, 2003, 05:18 AM

Oh, my bad!
Fendant is of course from the Valais area.
May 22nd, 2003, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

I can picture it now - two weeks from today we'll be sitting at a pretty sidewalk cafe, me in capri pants and sandals, Milt wearing who knows what, sipping white wine and nibbling on swiss cheese, admiring the blue of Lac Leman and the surrounding snow-capped mountain peaks. We'll stroll down the promenade and have dinner at Le Rouvenaz with more swiss wine (we'll probably need to take the train back!). I'm glad it's only two weeks away. Your posts have made it come alive for me, now I'm so anxious to see it in person.
May 22nd, 2003, 09:38 AM

BevK,

How great that you're sharing your joy! Have I begged you yet to be sure to post a trip report when you return? Even though I'll be in Switzerland in June, I can't help but feel envious (I won't be at Leman this trip!).

Salut Ursula! I can't wait to drown my tears in Engadin nut cake and some good local red!

s
May 22nd, 2003, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

I will post a trip report when we return, swandav. I know I always appreciate reports from others, especially when I'm researching a trip. Thank you for your detailed reports here and at igougo and twenj - they really formed the basis for my trip planning. Ursula, suze, andre, bob brown - you information helps so much. I can't wait to use it!
May 22nd, 2003, 10:39 AM

BevK -
What hotel did you decide to stay in at Vevey? Any web site available? I am looking for late June/July arrival. Might change dates due to Jazz Festival July 4.

swanndav2000-
You are a great provider of information and kindness. Thank you for your assistance in the responses to me also.

can anyone advise me on the concept of taking a ferry steamer from the Vevey/Montreux area to a nice place on the Lac Leman, then a train back? Isn't that the de rigeur way to do it?
May 22nd, 2003, 10:44 AM

BevK, if you are interested, you could learn a bit about Swiss Romand (French speaking regions)wines before your trip by reading something like the following page. I did not know Chasselas, Perlan, Dorin and Fendant are all from the same sort of grape which I have known as Chasselas. At least that's what this page says. Or of course you can enjoy Swiss wine without knowing such things.

http://www.stratsplace.com/rogov/win...itzerland.html
May 22nd, 2003, 11:12 AM

You could take a boat from Chillon Castle pier (one stop further than Montreux pier from Vevey, i guess) for Lausanne-Ouchy. From your boat, you will see Montreux, Vevey and the spectacular view of vineyards on the steeple lakeside land till Lausanne. It would be 15-minute walk (or 5 minutes by the underground funicular called Metro ) from Ouchy to Lausanne railway station where you can take a train to Vevey. Or if you liked the way Chillon-Lausanne so much, you could return the same way by boat again and get off at Vevey pier. I once did a 5 hour boat Lausanne-Geneva (or Montreux-GVA?) but I don't remember if I liked it or not. Maybe I was having too much wine on board.
May 22nd, 2003, 01:14 PM

I highly recommend to go to a caveau in one of the vinegrower's villages and taste some wine there.

I personally had my fondest memory in the little caveau in Lutry. It was amazing to sit there and watching the locals entering after work, having a glass of white wine, some cheese and chatting. Of course you MUST have a plate with cheese and saucisson (a sort of salami) and local wine. Even in Lutry they make wonderful red wines (rare in this area): Pinot Noir and Plan Robert, a local specialty. Both are excellent. I couldn't resist to buy 12 bottles ... Luckily the train stop is not far above the small town.