Greece - general strike on 15 June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read that a general strike has been planned for 15 June. Anyone have any information about this and its likely effect on travel? Any disruptions would be a huge bummer since we're scheduled to return to Athens from Crete that day (and my husband is scheduled to fly from the US). We are also staying in a hotel near Syntagma square.

Also, any thoughts on how to deal with any disruptions? Should we reorganize our travel? Thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

No one has responded, which is fine. I've calmed myself down. We'll stick with our original travel plans and stay optimistic!
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 06:27 PM

It's too soon for any definite information.
Monitor updates on here,
http://livingingreece.gr/strikes/
Your flights could be affected, but no way of knowing. each airline will have their own way of dealing with it if it happens. In the past the ATC have done only a few 24hr strikes, & a few 4hr ones. They have called others, but they've not gone ahead as they were deemed illegal.
If the public sector do take part your biggest chance of disruption is public transport to/from the airport. A taxi to the GB is a flat rate of 35 euro.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Here's a link which may help: ttp://livingingreece.gr/strikes/ although it's worth noting that last year's ferry strikes were not always on the days stated (ish-time!) and ran for different lengths than originally stated. That's the "joy" of strikes, they don't play ball with travellers' plans. Hope it works out for you - and get travel insurance if you don't already have it! In all seriousness,you can plan to return to Athens a day early to ensure flights are met, but the air traffic controllers are likely to join the other public sector unions in striking so there will most likely be delays to flights if it all goes ahead as stated.
Kalh tyxh!
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 06:38 PM

Yiassas - crossover of postings. Good to see we both noted the same website for reference.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Yiassas and MadamTrashheap! I will monitor the situation.

We're going to Greece to relax and that's what I'll try to do. Maybe the worst thing that happens is we get stuck on Crete forever. Is there insurance for that?
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 12:13 AM

I wouldn't mind being stuck on Crete either. Travel insurance is advisable, but the best insurance is to arrive back in Athens two days before your flight home.