Greece Experts !! How about some help..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I will be in Italy from May 9th through May 30. We will fly from Rome on May 30 to Athens arriving at 3:00pm,then fly from Athens to Santorini arriving at 4:45 pm.

We would like to stay in Oia for 3 or 4 nights and then stay in Naxos for 3 or 4 nights.

We have looked online at the Lava Oia cave houses in Oia and they look good.

We have looked at Kavos hotel in Naxos and it looks lovely.

Any comments on these choices ? Can you recommend any other places ?

Also how long does it take to ferry from Santorini to Naxos ?

For our trip home would it be possible to ferry from Naxos to Santorini then fly from Santorini to Athens, Athens to Rome and Rome to SFO ?? Sounds like too much even as i type it. Guess we should spend the night in Rome ? Or fly home from Greece.

We want to fly open jaw. We will arrive in Venice on May 9th. Would an open jaw .. Arrive in Venice depart Athens.. be more expensive than open jaw just in Italy. I need to research that next.

thanks for any and all help..

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 02:13 PM

I just stayed in one of the Lava Oia cave houses two weeks ago. We had House C with 2BR, a kitchenette, and a wonderful terrace. The location is excellent...not in the immediate shopping district where people walk by all the time. Plus, the view is unobstructed in all directions and just divine. I looked at a lot of properties while I was there, and this is one of the best locations. The houses are very clean and attractive, but not luxurious. The towels could stand to be upgraded! We loved the proprietor and would definitely stay there again. My trip report is on the Greek forum (Girlfriend Getaway).
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at Kavos Hotel in Naxos and enjoyed our time there. It has a lovely swimming pool and grounds and nice rooms..nothing luxurious, but comfortable. It's about a 10 minute drive to town--there are buses if you don't have a rental car. Barbara, the manager can arrange for a rental car if you'd like one. You can walk to some of the beaches. We took the Blue Star ferry from Naxos to Santorini and it was a little under 3 hours.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Lina, thanks for your response. Sounds good to me ! What was the cost ? Also, did any of the cave houses have a better terrace, location, etc ?

yestravel,
thank you for the info. How much did the Kavos cost ? Also, if you rented a car what was the rate ? thanks for the ferry info. I had no idea it would take that long.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 07:36 PM

We paid 25 euros for the car which Barabara at Kavos arranged. U might be able to get a better price if you make arrangements yourself. They met us at the ferry with the car when we arrived and we left the car at the ferry when we departed. We got reservations at Kavos by callling the day ahead and we stayed in a villa which was about 125 euros per night. It was in late September.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

yestravel
thanks .. 25 euros a day for a rental car is a good deal. would like to have an automatic but can drive a stick if necessary..as long as it's not too hilly. i'm really excited about visiting Greece for the first time !!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:14 AM

We did have a manual(stick shift) car. Driving around to the beaches and into town is fairly flat. However going to the villages in the interior there are lots of hills. Enjoy your trip--Greece is wonderful!