Greece - Rafina to Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any ferries that go from Rafina to Santorini in mid July? We would prefer the hydrofoil/high speed type, if possible. I am getting confusing results on various websites. Will be doing 2 nights in Paros, one in Santorini. Not sure if Santorini should be before or after Paros. Would prefer to go in/out of Rafina for the mainland part. Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 08:33 PM

There are no direct ferries from Rafina to Santorini. You can get to Paros, though, so go there first.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:53 PM

SeaJet 2, the passenger-only catamaran, is currently the only ferry from Rafina to Paros. In July there will be one departure at 07:25, and another around 15:00. I have been let down twice by this ferry, and prefer travelling to Paros via Piraeus, which has many more options.

If you wish to go to Santorini first, consider a connecting flight directly upon arrival in Athens. There are also flights to Paros on Dash 8-100 turboprops, but seats are limited and sell out quickly.

Most ferries from Piraeus to Paros and Santorini depart between 07:00 and 07:30, including highspeeds to both islands. There is also a daily conventional ferry to Paros at 17:30, and a non-stop conventional ferry to Santorini leaving at 19:00 on Sun, Tue & Thu.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I will actually be in Greece for several days before and will have a car. Is there a long term parking lot for Piraeus port where I could safely leave it for 3 days?
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 04:49 AM

If it's a rental car, turn it in before going to the islands — you don't need a car in Athens, and there's no point paying rental charges while it's sitting in a parking lot. If it's your own car, consider taking it with you on the ferry.
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 07:13 AM

There are parking houses in Piraeus, but like everywhere in Athens, they are extremely expensive...
Price could be 30 Euros per night.....
I would also not park a rental car in the streets of Piraeus for more than a few hours..
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. Here are more details on my situation. I will be traveling with my wife and 2 young children. We have decided we would like to go to Santorini first , then Paros, so the ferry out of Piraeus makes most sense. We will be staying for a few days before with relatives in Nea Makri, so we will have a rental car. I saw online that Budget car rental has a location in Piraeus. Is it close to the actual port so we could return the car and walk to the ferry? Then we could just rent another when we return to Piraeus. Also, any recommendations for Santorini hotels for families with young kids (around 100 per night)? Lastly, is there a specific web site to book the ferry tickets?
Thank you for any and all advice.
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 09:06 PM

This is the address of the Budget office in Piraeus.
Budget Piraeus
26-28 Akti Kondili Piraeus Port
Tel: +30 210 8981444

The Piraeus office is located near to all local ships piers.

As for the ferry tickets you can book them through the following site : www.greekjourney.com

This site belongs to Amphitrion Holidays.
Just keep in mind that you will not receive an e-ticket, but just a confirmation. You can pick up the tickets upon your arrival at the airport from the Airport office of Amphitrion Holidays , which is located at the arrivals hall, and is open 24/7
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 12:03 AM

Hi familyguy88,

In July, Hellenic Seaways' Highspeed 6 will depart daily at 07:00 from Piraeus, arriving on Santorini at 11:25. Recommend you book directly with the company at http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=209. You will be given a reference number which you use to retrieve your tickets at the booth right next to the ferry. If you choose, you could also pick up the tickets earlier at any Hellenic Seaways agent.

Your idea to drop off the rental car at Piraeus and pick up another upon return sounds like a good plan.

Hotels on the Kamari-Perissa side of Santorini all cater for children, and are cheaper than those on the caldera side. This would be a better option for active children, as you have the beaches to keep them occupied for part of the day. From there you will still be able to explore other parts of the island. If you must have a hotel with a caldera view, brotherleelove will hopefully return to give some suggestions.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 07:24 AM

You should know that the grit/pebble beaches on Santorini are black volcanic rock and get extremely hot in July due to the heat absorption. If you aren't wearing some sort of beach shoes you will burn the bottoms of your feet. Flip-flops are useless for this.

For Santorini hotel recommendations it would be helpful if you first choose a village. Otherwise there are just too many to mention.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Cannot decide between Kamari or Perissa. Is one particularly better in any way, such as a better beach?
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:36 PM

The beach of Perissa is definitely much nicer