Search

Greece during war?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:15 PM
mae
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece during war?

Does anyone have reservations about traveling to Greece due to its proximity to Turkey during war? We had a trip booked in May and am contemplating what to do. Most people we know think we're crazy to go. I'm more concerned about getting stuck on the islands in case transportation is halted. I understand that the ferries and greek airlines aren't very reliable.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:35 PM

Getting stuck on a Greek Island would be such a torture! Where can I sign on?
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:39 PM

we went to greece during the bosnia conflict. the greeks in the north were not pleased with the americans, but everywhere else, no one talked about the conflict and we did not think about it. i would assume you will be fine. if you are worried do not go to rhodes. go to the islands to the south and the west. greece is beautiful and you will love it there.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:50 PM

Mae,<BR><BR>I have plans to go on a Greek island cruise in September and if we are at war I'm still going. I was in France during 911 and I'm not going to let this Iraq war stop me from going to Greece. Believe me, I could do worse than being stranded on a Greek Island. Go on your trip and enjoy
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:23 PM

I'm heading to Greece in May also. This trip was suppose to happen 9/15/01.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 08:53 AM

i'm leaving for greece in about two weeks.<BR>never once have i worried about safety. honestly, it's a cliche, but you are probably safer there than you are over here, simply by the fact that you won't be riding around in a car all day. remember, you're more likely to die in a car crash than any other &quot;accident&quot; or surprise event. <BR><BR>people think you are crazy to go?<BR><BR>i would say you are crazy NOT to go if you can afford it (obviously you can since you already have the thing booked)<BR><BR>i lived in egypt for 18 years, a country most people are &quot;worried&quot; about going to. through the gulf war, the hatshepsut's temple incident in 95, and all of it, i felt safer than i have on any day living here in the states.<BR><BR>if you get &quot;stuck&quot; on the islands, or if something equivalenty interesting does happen (which it won't).. just think..<BR>it will be the adventure of a lifetime.<BR><BR>do you really want to go through life saying &quot;what if?&quot;<BR><BR>thoreau said:<BR>&quot;we should be blessed if we lived in the present always, and took advantage of every accident that befell us, like the grass which confesses the influence of the slightest dew that falls on it; and did not spend out time atoning for the neglect of past opportunities..&quot;<BR>-&quot;spring&quot;, Walden<BR><BR>GO!<BR><BR>have a great time.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 06:22 AM

If there is a war, Greece, even the islands near the Turkish mainland, will not be affected. The ferries are the lifeline for Greeks living on the islands, and not primarily for tourists, so it is unlikely they will ever be halted.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 06:31 AM

I do not think Greece is at any risk of a war with Iraq. However, I believe there is a continued risk of terrorism. Some accuse the Greek government (not the taxi driver or hotel maid who are ordinary Greek people) of looking the other way towards terrorism, especially toward the 17th of November terrorist group. I think they are accused of killing 1 American and 1 Briton.
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 07:46 AM

Message to our friend Hiroshi:<BR><BR>As for the 17 th November terrorist group which used to target individuals military or officials as 'political targets',be informed that the group has been dismantled(since june 2002),its leaders and members are under arrest .<BR>The trial is set to begin first week of march!!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2003, 09:57 AM

That is good to hear that the 17th of November group is no longer active. My opinion is that Greece is safe during war time. There could be some &quot;look the other way&quot; attitude towards terrorist, but this is less common now than before. Street crime is more likely than a terrorist attack.<BR><BR>Many countries, not just Greece, look the other way. In the USA in the 1980's, terrorist countries were given arms to return hostages (Iran Contra scandal). In Japan, there was not a strong enough crackdown until the subway got attacked by poison gas. In Ireland, they harbor PRIA/IRA
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:06 AM

My husband and I went on a cruise/trip to Greece and Italy Sept 2002. <BR>The airport security @ Athens was efficient, and the people very interested in Americans, if not pro-American. (When dining on Paros Sept 11th, 2002, the proprietor wouldn't accept any money for our meal, saying &quot;I just can't take money from you- I'm so very sorry for what happened @ the WTC&quot;.<BR>When I was attempting pleasantries in Greek , it broke the ice, and soon Greeks of any age were eager to help, telling us what stores to avoid/patronize, and asking intelligent questions about our lives in the US.<BR>When we explained that I'm from MO, an old man recognized it as somewhere he read about in Mark Twain, and that my husband is from PA, a teenager mentioned that she'd watched the mine rescue on CNN. Wish we in the US were as aware of other places in the world!<BR>Everywhere in Greece, from Athens, to the islands, we met ONLY gracious Greeks who were eager to show us their lovely country.<BR>Also, the Greek ferries are SO much more efficient than the ferries we took in Italy to Capri or Sorrento. They leave on time, and they actually show the safety drill film, or audiotape, which the Italian ferries didn't...<BR>Kalo taxidi
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 10:18 AM

My 17 year old son and I will be vacationing in Greece during Easter week although it appears we will likely be at war by that time. We traveled to East Africa two weeks after the embassy bombings and have traveled extensively since 9/11. I can't let the world situation stop me from enjoying the world.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 02:24 PM

I have been to: Japan, Nepal, India, China, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Cambodia, Hong Kong, GREECE, Brazil, Bermuda, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, England, Scotland, France, Portugal, Spain, Austria, and Monaco. GREECE is the only country that when I left, I cried. I love Greece and I couldn't imagine you having any trouble there. I WISH I were stuck in Greece for a couple months. If you get stuck in Greece, you can always take the SUPERFAST from Patras to Bari, Italy, rent a car, drive to Rome, fly home!!!! See, it all works out for the best!!!