greece dining and shopping

Jun 18th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Rick

greece dining and shopping

can someone give us info on the best way to purchase items, wine,etc. in greece and have them shipped back to the US. our trip is soon to athens, Santorini, Crete ans Mykonos and I was thinking of sending items rather than carrying things with us as we tour the islands.
Also, can you give me a great recomendation on local tavernas in athens, crete, santorini, and/or mykonos? Thank you

Jun 18th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Robin

Hi Rick--

In Athens I mailed some items from a central post office, just as you would from home (put in a box and addressed it, carried to the post office). Communication was challenging, but we got the ideas across! I have since decided that that was completely insane, however! I didn't insure the package, I didn't keep good records of the contents, and I would have been heartbroken to lose the things inside! Lucky for me and my blind optimism everything got here safely.

So this doesn't help much, as I really wouldn't recommend my method. Shops will ship for you, but some things my husband sent home came back damaged. You may get better advice from someone else, or you may want to plan your luggage so that you can carry anything really special. (Hot tip from this forum: pack sheets of bubble wrap from home-- you'll be lucky to find it there.)

Jun 18th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Sheila

Can't help with the main event; but don't bother sending Greek wine home. It may be much better than it used to be but,honestly, it doesn't travel well

Jun 19th, 2001, 11:37 AM
laurie

I've had good luck shipping large items (not wine) through Mailboxes, Etc. They insure and pack well.
Here is a site that shows their Greek locations, including a couple in Athens. Good luck.
http://www.mbe.com/Locations/provinc...countryCode=GR

Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:29 AM
Tammy

I had the best greek food and view at Aris restaurant in Fira on Santorini. Try their Moussaka, it's the best I've ever had.

Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:35 AM
Eve

Hi Rick,

I hope you haven't left yet for your trip. In Athens, we discovered a wonderful little shop that that sold wine, olive oil, and various Greek specialities.

It's called Creta Natura, at 52 Nikis Str. & Kidathineon Str. The two people who run the store spoke English, and said they could ship to the U.S. with any item you would be interested in buying.

We went there twice, actually, since we liked them so much. The phone number is 301 322-9146. The street it's located on, is also wonderful to walk around.

Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:38 AM
Amela

Can anyone provide a name(s) of large
department stores that carry clothes,
souveniers, and/or food in Athens?

We will be bringing lots of gifts back, but I would hate to spend lots of time running around.

Something like Spanish - El Corte Engles

Amela

Jul 10th, 2001, 11:51 AM
laurie

Amela: Athens really doesn't have department stores to speak of. But go to the Plaka area, where there is a high concentration of stores selling just what you are looking for, all in a very small area.