Spain and/or Portugal 2 weeks - Oct

Jul 10th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Susan

Spain and/or Portugal 2 weeks - Oct

Looking for recommendations/help in deciding. We have about 12 days in the beginning of October. Have never been to either of these countries. Am looking for recommendations on possible itineraries or areas to go--ie can we go to both countries? We're in our late 30's, no kids, active. Like a blend of things, little bit of city (but like everyone else not fond of traffic, pollution, etc), villages, outdoors, mtns/beaches. (guess I'm probably not helping too much)

Thanks,
Susan

Jul 10th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Pedro

Since I find quite difficult to choose among a big area for the 12 days trip you have. Maybe the weather might be a factor to make up your mind. Northern Spain in October is not bad at all but it lacks somehow the fine weather you might find at that time of the year in the west, east and south of Iberian Peninsula. I would give my vote to Lisbon and Surroundings-Algarve-Aracena-Sevilla-White Villages-Jerez-Cadiz-Granada-Cordoba-Ronda-Merida-Trujillo-Guadalupe-Alentejo region in Portugal. So I would probably fly Lisbon or Sevilla, instead of Madrid. Although there are thousands of possible trips for 12-14 days around Portugal and Spain, I particularly think this would be one of the most varied among them if you want to have a bit of everything. This area, however, might be a problem if you do not plan to rent a car since transportation among Lisbon area and Sevilla/Andalucia area are not good at all ( no trains, few buses and no direct flights ) what IMHO is a real pity.

Jul 10th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Art

Susan, we did 12 days last year. We only spent 2 days in Lisbon, although you could certainly spend more. We took the night train to Madrid and from there took a day trip to Avilla and Segovia. You could also do a day trip to Toledo. Madrid may be getting colder then as it is the highest Capital city in Europe. From Madrid we took the AVE train to Seville for a couple of days. We picked up a rental in Seville and drove south through Andulucia, spending 2 nights in Algeceria. We took a day trip to Morocco from there and then visited Gabralter for 1/2 day. We then drove on to Granada and the Alhambra. From there it is a days drive to Barcelona, which I loved. Hope this will give you some ideas.
Regards,
Art

Jul 10th, 2001, 11:48 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Susan, Andalusia fits very nicely with an itinerary starting in Portugal. I have done that twice and recently helped a friend plan their trip. Let me know if you need specifics.

Jul 10th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Nikki

Hi Susan! I've been to Spain and Portugal several times, and I prefer spending as much time as possible in Spain. There is just so much more to see and do. And I find the people to be friendlier. I would recommend Madrid, Toledo, Granada, Costa del Sol, 1 day trip to Gibralter, Seville & Cordoba. Have you checked out Tauck, Trafalgar or Globus Tour companies? They have great tours that cover both countries. Good luck in your search.