Greece: Cyclades vs. Dodecanese vs. Crete

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure some will think this a juvenile way of deciding where to go but all three areas, the Cyclades, the Dodecanese, and Crete sound awesome. All the books rave about all of them as does this message board.

So here is what I'm asking.... Give me the pros and cons of each, the positive / negative of each area. I know this means you might have to generalize a little, but that is ok. If you feel like ranking them, go ahead. If you want to name your favorite island/town/spot, please do so.

About us, we're going to Greece for our honeymoon in Sept. We're in our late 20's, lots of energy, can't really see us spending the whole time on the beach. We're most interested in eating, culture, day-hikes, quaint towns and beatiful vistas. Nightlife is interesting, but secondary.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Crete has the most to offer, Santorini is the most beautiful island. How long do you have for your honeymoon? Do you have enough time to visit more than one group? Crete is only 75 miles south of Santorini, and in September there's a daily highspeed ferry between the two.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. We will be in Greece 3 weeks (but need to allow for a couple of days in Athens), which I think allows time for two groups (maybe). So we trying to identify which groups, but also which areas/islands within each group (lots of posts on that)

Thanks!
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 06:54 PM

We loved Santorni and Crete ( Chania), but I'd also recommend Rhodes, which has a little bit of everything you're looking for- an old walled city, ruins, gorgeous views, lovely and cheap tavernas, day-hikes down to the bay in Lindos, and a wonderful long beach in Faliraki. We visited for 4 days a few weeks ago, but could easily have stayed much longer. There's SO much to do and see!

Rhodes is an easy 45 minute flight from Athens. I'm also pretty sure that you can fly there from Crete, which is well worth a visit, too. We absolutely loved Chania with its lovely old harbour area, and tiny lanes full of shops and restaurants.

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 06:55 PM

Obviously, that should have read "Santorini'! SORRY.