Greece & Turkey honeymoon help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I would greatly appreciate some help in planning out honeymoon quickly! We'd like to spend about $10000 US dollars, including airfare. This is an itinerary that we have come up with, but let me know if it does not work well or if you have any other suggestions. It is possible to cut a few days or add a few more.

Leave the US on May 5 and arrive in Istanbul May 6. Stay in Istanbul until May 10.
Capidocia May 10-12
Kusidasi May 12-13
Marmaris May 13-14
Ferry to Rhodes May 14-15
Ferry to Santorini May 15-19
Ferry to Naxos May 19-21
Athens May 20-22
Fly home May 22

We are a late 20's and early 30's couple, and we are excited to relax at pools, drink wine, explore markets and downtowns, eat good food, hike and see ancient sites. We are not interested in spending a lot of time at museums. We are happy to rent a car for as long as necessary. I figured that Santorini would be our hotel splurge since we will be using the hotel facilities a lot. However, I'd like to stay at the nicest hotels that we can afford throughout the trip. This is our honeymoon after all! I'd love ANY suggestions as to hotels or itenerary suggestions. Thanks!
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 03:03 PM

I count 12 days of travel after Istanbul. You can expect to pay around $2500 for airfare from LAX unless you get lucky. Have you done any pricing yet? That's the first step so you know what you have left over for expenses. Once your flights are booked you can proceed.

Your itinerary is too tight for me but workable if you really want it.

I can help with the hotels on Santorini, but you need to offer more information for good recommendations. Hotel prices range from 25 to 1600 euro/night. I need to know how much money you're prepared to spend out of your $7500 budget for your 4 nights there. "the nicest hotels that we can afford" doesn't really reveal anything.

If you want access to the nightlife on Santorini focus your search on Fira and Firostefani so you don't have to do any driving after a night of partying. If you prefer a more romantic and beautiful location with excellent restaurants and shops plus some mellow bars, but no club scene, focus on Oia. Let me know what you want and I'll try to help.

Incidentally, the ferry from Rhodes to Santorini doesn't get to Santorini until about 12:30 AM, so you'll have to make special arrangements for a transfer to the hotel.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Brotherleelove, my fiance was able to get us airfare for about $2000, leaving around $8000 for hotels/food/travel between islands. We can go a little over budget, but we certainly can't double the budget!

I was thinking of staying in Oia on Santorini. We're interested in going out to dinner, walking around town at night and getting a few drinks, but we're not going to be clubbing. We'd like to find the best rates possible, but we're willing to spend about $400 US max in Santorini.

Is there only one ferry between Rhodes and Santorini? Thanks again for your help Brotherlee!
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM

$400=310 euro.

For that you can find rooms at the following hotels (w/pool) in Oia, if they're not all booked yet:

Nikos Villas, Strogili Houses, Rimida Villas, Kima Villas, Nostos Apartments, La Perla Villas, Atrina, Filotera Villas, Museum Spa Hotel, Golden Sunset Villas, Oia Mare, Esperas and Caldera Villas.

Notable possibilities w/o a pool include Aspaki Suites, Oia Castle, Chelidonia Villas, MyBlue, Ifestio, Villas, Lava Oia's, Fragkiskos Houses, Fotinos Houses and the Delfini Hotel (cave house suite). Aspaki and Oia Castle do offer free access to a cafe & pool in the village where you can sit, have some wine and watch the sunset, although you can do that from Oia Castle anyway. Ask for a discount, sometimes you'll get it. If the room is 350 euro/night just send them an email and ask if they have any rooms for 300 euro/night and see what they have to say.

Only a few of the hotels in Oia have sunset views. Not all these hotels offer breakfast, so if that's a deal-breaker be sure of what you're getting. Most of the properties there are self-catering rooms, studios and small apartments or houses.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Brother, we had definetly planned on staying at a hotel with a pool. We want to spend time in Santorini relaxing at the pool and sunbathing, even if it is not warm enough to swim. Do you recommend any of the hotels you listed in particular?

We are willing to consider staying in Fira if there is a spectacular hotel in our price range.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Chances are in mid-May it won't be warm enough for swimming, so why insist on a pool if you can't use it? These places all have balconies for sunbathing and for enjoying the incredible views. I have no specific recommendations, I recommend them all. I suggest you look them over and make a list from 1 to 10, then contact them and take the one closest to the top of your list. These hotels have all been booking for this upcoming May since last summer and some won't be avaialble on your dates.
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 04:54 AM

When your flight arrives to Izmir (AD0 ( to go to Kusadasi) you can hire a english speaking driver who can drive you around safely without any problem. Ephesus and V mary's house are must to visit places i can suggest you KISMET Hotel in Kusadasi a gear honeymoon hotel. And also since you like explore down towns i suggest you to overnight in Izmir one night instead of overnighting in Kusadasi 2 nights recommeded Hotel is SWISS HOTEL or ANEMON FUAR HOTEL and and in Marmaris i recommed you Divan Hotel or Marmaris Grand YAZICi Hotel in Marmaris. You can book those hotels online from hotel booking websites.For the transportation or example prices please e mail me [email protected]
Bon Voyage