Greece- Hotel recommendations in santorini & mykonos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are visting Mykonos and Santorini in month of May to celebrate our anniversar(May 20 onwards). We have already zoomed in on Hotel Rochari and Hotel tagoo in Mykonos(for 3 nights) after seeing all the reviews and recommendations. We are still confused between the two. Reviews of both are good. What would be a better option??

With regards to Santorini, we cannot decide whether to stay in fira or OIA. We are looking to stay there for 3 nights. Our budget is Euro 100-120 per night for hotel room. Please help us decide, OIA or Fira. Also hotel recommendations would be great

We were thinking of hiring a two wheeler (Scooter/bike) for sightseeing in both places. We are pretty comfortable with it having driven it on holidays elsewhere around the world.

We would be grateful if we could get inputs of fellow travelers with regard to above

thanks in advance
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 08:20 AM

Stay in Fira or Firostefani if you want easy walking-distance access to the nightlife. Stay in Oia if you want to be in the most beautiful village. There are lots of excellent shops, restaurants, cafes and galleries in all these villages but Oia's nightlife is limited to a few mellow bars. Because Oia is about 7 miles from Fira on a winding road it wouldn't be a good idea to try to drive it at night if you've been partying in Fira.

For Oia accomodations in your budget check the websites of Thea Studios, Delfini Hotel, Olympic Villas, Old Oia Houses, Fotinos Houses, Oia Waves, Lena's House, Villa Kallisti and Casa Sofia. Lauda Hotel is another good choice but you have to call them to book a room as they don't have internet booking from their website.

None of these are full-service hotels. They are all self-catering accomodations.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks brotherlee. from your advice it seems like fira would be better option. what would suggest for accommodation in Fira in out budget?
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 11:14 AM

Check Scirocco Apartments, Caldera Butterfly Villas, Hotel Mylos, Villa Maria Damigou, Blue Dolphins Apartments and Sunset Hotel. These all hav

There are lots more affordable choices here: http://www.santorini.com/hotels-in-s...ra-hotels1.htm
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM

Sorry, I meant to say 'These all have a view of the caldera.'
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 03:58 PM

Hotel Rochari is in the quiet Lakka district of Mykonos town. It is known to have one of the highest return guest rates of any hotel on the island. I'm one of them.

It's a short 5 or 6 minute walk to the harbour front, restaurants and bars are closeby as is the small Fabrika bus station with services to the beaches and other parts of the island.

Operated by a terrific family, customer service is superb as is the staff. Free transfers from the port or airport and also free wi-fi. Like most hotels on the island it has many gay guests in July and August. In May it’s more family-orientated, relaxed and easy-going. You are travelling there during one of my favourite months to visit, when I think the town is visually stunning. I took these shots right outside the Rochari hotel in May 2010.

http://fira.www.idnet.com/

Rooms with a sea view have either a terrace or a balcony. Those views are stupendous. I recommend rooms on level three (especially 302) or level two for the best sea views.

Should you wish to spend all day (and evening) at the hotel, meals are served out on the lounge terrace overlooking the town. A simple but very, very good menu usually with chicken, lamb, vegetables and olives all from the owner’s farm on the island.

I can’t compare it with Hotel Tagoo as I’ve never lodged there but both hotels get their fair share of great reviews.

If you need any more information about the Rochari and surrounding area please let me know and I’ll do my best to help.

Jon
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Hey Jon,

Thanks for the reply. Helped me on deciding Rochari for Mykonos.

Brother lee, quick question, how does Reverie Traditional Apartments in Firostefani?? any recommendations as to proximity with Fira and the rooms etc
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 08:55 AM

I don't know the Reverie but I looked at their website. They say a car can drive right up to the hotel, which suggests to me that there is no caldera view, so if that's something you want then Reverie is not the hotel for you. Otherwise it seems fine. Proximity is 15 minutes' walk from Fira. One other thing to consider is traffic noise. Most vehicles passing through Firostefani to and from Imerovigli and Oia will go right by the hotel.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 09:50 AM

In Firostephani with caldera view in your price range, you might take a look at Hotel Mylos, Hotel Agnadema, Sunset Hotel, Blue Dolphins, Villa Ilias ... Some have rates right on their websites others do not. if these are available on booking.com, you can usually find the rates & availability instantly just by putting in your desired dates ... then if you are still interested u can e-mail the hotels direct from their website. However, for caldera view at your price in May, you'd better get busy today. PS: also check Trip Advisor reviews for any you are considering.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM

I was also torn between the Rochari and the Tagoo when visiting Mykonos a couple of years ago. As you say, both get great reviews.

We went with the Hotel Rochari b/c of the location and it was fabulous, highly recommended. I second what jon said -- I loved the staff there, they were so helpful and accommodating. And the location was great, we had such a great view over the whole town from our very large balcony and loved sitting there watching the boats come and go down at the port. The room was tiny but the large balcony made up for it.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM

Possibly some useless information but there’s a chance it may interest you. Rochari (Ρόχαρη) was the name of the small stream (which is now a footpath) which passed the exit from the hotel at its lower level. Looking at John’s photographs I feel this is the path he was walking. It leads you down through an area which is indeed colourful and beautiful with seasonal flowers (at their most spectacular in May). Along the same little path and sharply to its left is a tiny outdoor theatre. If you are there at the right time you may see some islanders performing their local songs and dance.

The Rochari stream was where locals brought their animals to drink and became quite a meeting place. Romances blossomed and I know of one (now) elderly local couple who met there and married within a few weeks.

When I first visited the island well over 45 years ago there was nothing in this area at all but some fields full of donkeys and sheep surrounded by old hand-crafted stone walls. Today it has hotels and apartments overlooking the town. The road at the entrance of the Rochari Hotel can be a busy one but if your room is sea facing then you will not hear any traffic noise at all.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM

"I don't know the Reverie but I looked at their website. They say a car can drive right up to the hotel, which suggests to me that there is no caldera view"

We stayed at the Grotto Villas (now Cliffside) in Firostefani. Our room had caldera views. There was a small "piazza" nearby where we parked our hire car. You could stretch the truth and say that this parking space was "right up to our hotel" but the fact is we still had to go down a set of stairs to get to the hotel. Maybe this is what the Reverie website is on about.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 02:59 PM

Or not.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. We booked rochari for Mykonos and to finalise for santorini, still looking
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 07:13 PM

Hi, please let us know what you decide on in Santorini as I am looking in a similar price range but in July which makes it harder! I have narrowed the town to Firostefani as it is close to town & yet not too busy, was thinking of Hotel Sofia, have you checked that out? Anyone have any input on that one? I believe the terrace & some of the rooms have a caldera view.
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 08:32 AM

Also, would I have to buy the ferry tickets ahead of time? Anyone know how much a taxi from Athens airport to the port would cost?
Old Apr 5th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Sorry, posted the entry above on the wrong forum(