Reload this Page >

Grand Hotel, Oslo

Search

Grand Hotel, Oslo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Pat

Grand Hotel, Oslo

We're going to Oslo,Norwy soon and have the Grand Hotel in Oslo,Norway booked. What I've read in rants and raves is not to promising. Can anyone give me some information, good or bad on the hotel?

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Bjorn

Pat: I guess that on Grand the room sizes and quality differs widely. No doubt about the fact that Grand is one of the most prestigeous hotels in Oslo, and foreign presidents and Noble's peace prize winners most likely stays there.<BR>But Oslo has got good alternatives: The hotel Continental I guess is the top. And after that maybe Bristol. SAS Radisson as well.<BR>At a more moderate price level I guess Cecil is a very good choice, located close to the Parliament and facing Grand.<BR>Welcome to Oslo<BR><BR>Bjorn

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Pat

Dear Bjorn,<BR> Thanks for you reply. We just returned from a trip to Oslo and Copenhagen. We really enjoyed the city of Oslo and all the quaint shops and coffee shops. We stayed in the Grand hotel in one of their suites and it was the nicest and largest suite I've ever been in. Pat

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Patrick

It is true that the rooms vary greatly. We were booked for a double there for many months ahead of arrival. When we arrived and were taken to our room, it was a TINY single with a single bed. We returned to the desk and they seemed very surprised, although our copied reservation clearly showed it was for a double. They were pretty fully booked and it took them quite a while to find us a room. But when they did, it was huge and magnificent. I think we lucked out because of the mix-up, as most of the regular double rooms I saw were nice, but certainly not grand, especially for the price.<BR>But the location is fantastic, the hotel itself is beautiful, the staff was very accomodating, and let's face it -- Oslo is a very expensive city.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Bjorn

Pat, thank you for your reply.<BR>Because of having stayed in one of the Grand Hotel's suites very recently, my very modest assumption is that you certainly also joined Mr President Carter on his Noble Tour...<BR>Congratulations!!<BR>Bjorn, Oslo<BR>

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Snoopy

I have stayed at the Imi (very modest) and the Radisson SAS (not bad) and a buddy of mine was at the Grand when I was at the SAS (Nov 2000). I would have guessed that he paid as least twice for his room over what I paid for mine at the SAS. It was very, very nice.<BR><BR>I think the breakfast buffet at the SAS was better, however.

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loved th SAS Radisson 3 years ago and stayed at the grand 30+ years ago and returning to the Continental this summer because our tour group goes there.<BR>Independent traveler and your choice...???? SAS Radisson. It's modern and not as warm in decor as the older ones, but cost wise and amenities like the restaurants and shops not to mention the cheap bus ride from and to the airport...a great choice. And eat on the wharf at Lucille's sea food restaurant. You won't believe the portions or quality!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There are, am I right Bjorn, 3 Radisson SAS hotels in Oslo. On Bjorn's recommendation, we stayed at the one not across from the train station, but very close to the national gallery, and it was in a great area, and the room was huge! We had such a good deal last summer, about $125 a night with an incredible buffet breakfast included. Now, I'm not big on breakfasts, but when there is all the smoked salmon, smoked mackeral, and other smoked fishes along with 10 different varieties of breads and a decent cup of coffee, I find it hard to resist!