Hotels in Bergen, Oslo and Helsinki

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 12:18 PM
gpm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Bergen, Oslo and Helsinki

Hello,
we would like some advice on hotels in Bergen, Oslo and Helsinki, for two single guys. We prefer something up to 100 dollars; if this price is too low we could go up to 200$.
Thank you,
gpm
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 01:09 AM

I have booked the Thon Cecil in Oslo for 3 nights for 2 people. £265 with the 3rd night free for a mid range hotel in Oslo is fantastic.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Hi

I was reccomended Hotel Helka in the Helsinki city center from someone from Helsinki. It is between a 3 and 4 star hotel.
I have been to Helsinki before and stayed 8 years ago in a 3 star which I forgot the name of which was very clean and worked well for two of us. The city is expensive so I think that a 3 star is good. I usually spend more on the sightseeing and just want a clean room with a bathroom not down the hall. The people there are great and helpful.
Have a great time. Have not been to Norway sorry.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM

I second the choice of Hotel Thon Cecil in Oslo. We stayed at the Thon Stefan 2 years ago and while it was great, we looked with envy at the Cecil since it was so much closer to the harbor with the museum and fort and boats to Bygdoy island.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:17 AM

i tried to get hotel helka for late may 2009
all booked out
the eurohostel is cheap and near the harbour but we chickened out - could be noisy and we need sleep

i got a number from the receptionist in hotel helka - it is a helsinki booking agency and if you buy a phone it wont be expensive to call and talk to someone in finland

this is their number
first dial your own country's dial- out code
then 358 for finland
9 for helsinki
and then 2288 1400
we go the sokos hotel helsinki for 179 euros one night and 169 the next
yep expensive
but like i said we need sleep
the lady helping us said that hotel helka wouldve been her first recommendation - value wise

if youre in the same boat insist that you get a room that is high up and away from rooms that have playrooms for kids
many have nightclubs down stairs and the cheaper rooms are right above them
stay away from noisy lifts in hostels
doors squeak too and many floors are wooden

read the reviews on trip advisor then ask here with specific refs to the hotels you have in mind
dont leave it to the last min to book
we were looking in jan and the good ones were gone for dates in late may

now.. what helsinki booking agency advised was this chain of apartmenthotels - no reception so you get a pincode for the door
this is the omena chain of hotels
eerikinkatu
and another is lonnrotinkatu- theyre cheaper than the hotels and i think theyre new but do check

i chose not to - we will be arriving late- ish and i didnt want to muck round with pin codes - we had one time here in our own country where the code didnt work and we wasted some time indeed

the area round katajanokka is convenient to the harbour and sights ( butthere are many harbours so do a google map of the area you choose)

torni is a good hotel apparently but it was booked out when i was trying

gathaus omapotija which was recommended here isnt answering emails and i have read it is no longer available

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:19 AM

my friends stayed in city box in bergen and were happy

we were close to booking the skansen pensjonat but we are not overnighting in bergen it seems

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM

Hi
I did suggest the Hotel Helka. I too found it booked for 2 of the 3 days that I wanted to stay in May.
I was reccomended the Scandic Continental close to the city center. It is a little more expensive but very nice. I have already booked 3 days with them in May.

Have a great vacation.