COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Grand Hotel Florence Italy

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Grand Hotel Florence Italy

The Grand Hotel in Florence, Italy, please let me know your opinion. (note;not the Grand Minerva Hotel, they are two different hotels). Thanks to all in advance.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Has any one stayed at this hotel? If so how was the total stay? Thanks again.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:51 AM

They seem to like it pretty well on www.tripadvisor.com.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:02 AM

The Grand Hotel is one of the two Westin five-stars that stare at each other across the Piazza Ognissanti in Florence. (The other is the Excelsior.)

It is right on the Arno and pretty convenient to most of the sites. I don't think anyone will be disappointed in it.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Very good location overlooking the Arno. Close walking to "Centro." The rooms are decorated in high Florentine syle (lots of tassles). Snooty service/sometimes bordering on pretentious. <"Sir, may I have your business card?>

If you stay here, walk over the Santa Trinita Bridge to the Oltarno side and buy some cheese and truffles at Vera Val 1932.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM

We just stayed there last week for one night while passing through Florence. We were upgraded to a large room overlooking the river. It was really wonderful, especially after staying for a week in a small, plain hotel room in Paris! Since we were only there one night, I probably didn't get a full feeling for the hotel. However, we didn't find the service snooty at all. The concierge helped us get our cell phone situation worked out. He was extremely nice, translated the 10 text messages that Wind sent to me! The front desk was extremely friendly. No probably getting a late checkout so our daughter could shower after flying all night before heading to our villa south of Siena. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. We used Starwood points.