Florence hotel quandry - Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to visit Florence in September - we have never been there before. Several friends recommended a hotel that has no availability during the time we will be there. Our second choice, Hotel Loggiato dei Serviti, has responded to our reservation request that they have a new room in their "dependance", which is a building 30 metres from their main building. Is anyone familiar with this extension of the hotel?
We are also considering the Hermitage. We'd like to stay under $350/night wherever we stay. Recommendations?
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 06:17 PM

We stayed at Hotel Antica Torre Tornabuoni and loved it. It is very small and on the smart shopping street Via Tornabuoni, next to the Santa Trinita Bridge. If you decide to stay there, see if you can get a room with its own terrace. Ours had views of the Arno and the Duomo (Room 503). The website shows all the rooms clearly. Breakfast in August was on the rooftop terrace, with spectacular panoramic views of Florence. The hotel is within easy walking distance of all the sights. The website gives an excellent idea of this terrific hotel - www.tornabuoni1.com

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

It looks beautiful, SusanMargaret, so much nicer than either of our choices. Thank you!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM

SusanMargaret, does Antica Torre Tornabuoni have a lift? It looks wonderful.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Dear SusanMargaret,
OOPS - excuse my previous post - have found where it says that the hotel does have an elevator.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 06:24 PM

OMG. We stayed in the Hermitage in 1997 and it is LOVELY. The honor bar room is a dream. The service at breakfast is wonderful. The room is typical European (read, not as big as a Marriott), but roomier than most places with small furniture. The bathrooms were fine, not postage stamp. Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard, not the river Arno and the street. You'll want to be able to open your window, and it's quite loud on the street side.

I am going there in August, and we've rented an apartment, but if it weren't for my three kids, we'd stay at the Hermitage again. In a heartbeat.

Another option is the Plaza Lucchesi. I've heard good things about the place from folks I know, though I've never stayed there before.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Some more advice if you can take it. I loved the Trattoria behind Il Cibreo...opens at 7 (or is it 7:30)...line up early. It's true Italian, and the food is wonderful. Bring your phrase book -- our waitress was helpful, but didn't speak English. Be prepared to be seated with other people, because they fill each table. It was a great experience and we found all the secrets out about Florence that day!

Also, for Biestecca Fiorintina (sp?), Il Latini was wonderful. Again, amazing how you can have a romantic dinner with so many other people around you, but in Italy, people make romance. A wonderful meal, a wonderful evening.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much! I have been in hotel overload - sometimes you can do too much research. It is great to hear from people who have actually been to the place you are going!