Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

GRAND HOTEL CONVENTO DI AMALFI formerly known as Cappucini Convento supposedly opening in 2009

Search

GRAND HOTEL CONVENTO DI AMALFI formerly known as Cappucini Convento supposedly opening in 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. They were supposed to open in 2005, then 2006, then 2007, then 2008. My last direct personal e-mail with the Framin group a few weeks ago resulted in my being told it will open in 2009. Same story as this one that applied to 2008:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35083535

This reminds me of our trip to Bellagio last month. We took a water taxi tour and the taxi driver, as we were coming back to dock, mentioned he was a native of Bellagio. He's in his late 30's or early 40's now, I'd guess. He pointed out a 4 star hotel that is closed and is being remodeled and said it was supposed to open next year. Then, he said, that it has been closed and under remodeling since he was 8 years old--and every year it's the same--the hotel will open "next year". So, for those like me who are interested in the reopening of the former Cappucini Convento in Amalfi, don't count on it, but, do hope for it!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 03:45 AM

I was also told, in Amalfi, that it would open next year. But from the looks of it, they have a long way to go, although there were many workmen on the site. It cannot be easy hoisting materials up that hill!

Do you know anything about the Santa Rosa convent in Conca dei Marini that is being converted into a hotel by (according to what I heard there) an heiress from North Carolina who purchased the property?
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, but, I do not have any information on the other property about which you asked.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Ha, that convent has been going to reopened by that heiress for as long as I have been visiting the area, about 10 years.

Glad to see that maybe the Cappucini Convento has workmen there at least. I don't like the named changed!!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Oh, that is funny, SeaUrchin! The person who told us about it made it seem as if the news was hot off the press!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:37 AM

I know what you mean, they said that to me the first time too, I was ready to make reservations for the next year's trip !

Did they tell you about the plans for the new high road? I think that was about 10 years ago too.

As we know, there are "factions" to be considered in construction...
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Ha Ha! Factions indeed! I heard nothing about the new high road. But the info on the Santa Rosa and the heiress was told to me as if no one even knew about it yet...(pssst!) I wonder if it is even remotely true?!