Granada vs. Cordoba

Aug 14th, 2002, 04:14 AM
colleenk

Granada vs. Cordoba

If you had the choice between staying 2 nights in Granada at the Parador San Francisco (already booked)or only staying 1 night there and taking that night to spend in Cordoba-what would you do? I am arriving in Granada around noon (this is in May). I have heard mixed things about Granada and was orginally planning on doing a day trip to Cordoba from Seville. Opinions please?

Aug 14th, 2002, 04:59 AM
MJ

Cordoba can be easily done as a day trip from Seville. Many trains, less than one hour each way. The parador in Granada is wonderful and two nights there will be most enjoyable. That's what we did and I don't regret not spending the night in Cordoba. The Mezquita and Alhambra are incredible! For a really great meal go to the Ruta de Valeta outside of Granada. Take a cab, don't drive in Granada except to get in and out. Have a great trip!

Aug 14th, 2002, 05:14 AM
lisa

Granada, hands down. While I agree with the above poster that you could make Cordoba a day trip from Seville, if you must choose between an extra day in Granada and a day in Cordoba, I'd take Granada. We loved Granada -- in fact, it was our favorite city of a 2-week vacation in Andalucia. Cordoba is small and the mosque is interesting, but it doesn't have the nightlife, restaurants or sites that Granada has. Nor does it have the nice hotels. Stay put.

Aug 14th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Jim

I agree with MJ and Lisa. While we were in Sevilla we took the AVE to Granada and had a great day there.

Aug 14th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Maribel

collenk,
If you've been fortunate enough to be able to book 2 nights at the Parador San Francisco just steps away from the Alhambra, then take them! You won't regret it, plus Cordoba is so easy to do from Sevilla on the Ave as a day trip.

Aug 14th, 2002, 09:06 AM
colleenk

Thanks so much for your responses-just what I needed to know to help me decide. Maribel-do you have a file on Seville, Codoba or Granada? I used your file on Madrid last year and it was awesome!
colleenk

Aug 14th, 2002, 10:10 AM
michele

Colleen,
Agree with the others about stayint two nights in Granada. Cordoba is an easy trip from Seville. I do have a suggestin: If it's possible, try to stay in Cordoba for the evening (after five, maybe for dinner?). Cordoba gets lots of daytrippers and when they leave the atmosphere of the city changes for the better. The windy streets are enchanting when they are not filled with people.

M.

Aug 14th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Maribel

colleenk,
I'm very glad the Madrid file was helpful to you.
I'll send you my Seville file right away and the Granada and Cordoba ones (much smaller) just as soon as I finish updating them.

Do agree with Michele that Cordoba is much nicer after the daytripper crowds leave. Since it's only a 40 min. hop up on the AVE, waiting to visit until later is quite doable. The Mezquita until Sept. 30 is open at least until 7 p.m. (actually my brand new Footprint Andalucia Handbook says Mon-Sat til 7:30-a great guide, by the way, for all of Andalucia with tons of historical info and lots of detail regarding all the sites, including the "secret", less visited ones-just bought the new edition at Borders).

Another guide I've enjoyed for touring is Cadogan's Andalucia. Think you'd enjoy it as well.

Hope you have a wonderful stay at the Parador.

Aug 14th, 2002, 01:23 PM
topper

Topping.

Aug 14th, 2002, 01:31 PM
xxx

I made that same choice when I was there this spring and chose Granada. I am glad to see I chose correctly.

Aug 14th, 2002, 01:40 PM
chris

Tough decision as those two cities offer very different things. Granada is much larger and offers more nightlife and culture, however, Cordoba is much more intimate especially at night and is generally done as a daytrip from Sevilla. We did an overnight in Cordoba and I don't regret it though. You have the city to yourself when the buses head back to Sevilla. Walking the narrow streets around the walls of the mosque at night is an experience that will take you back in time. Granada is kind of bustling in the center throughout the day and night. The Alhambra is impressive, however, Cordoba has a structure (name escapes me) that is a fortress/castle of sorts with a garden much more colorful than the Alhambra's (at least when we visited). Either way, you'll be fine. We wished we had an extra night in Granada to listen to flamenco or walk through the Arab quarter. Still, I'd recommend a night in each place just for the differing experience. PS-a regional specialty in Cordoba is rabo de toro (bull's tail).

Aug 16th, 2002, 05:00 PM
khebar

Hoping that Maribel will read this message. I too would appreciate your file on Sevilla, Granada and Cordoba. We will be traveling there the 2nd week in September. I've found some wonderful suggestions from other travelers in this forum.

Aug 16th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Leslie

Maribel, I would also appreciate you sharing your files on Sevilla, Cordoba, and Granada with me. Do you also have files on Madrid, El Escorial, Toledo, Segovia and Barcelona. I will also be in Spain at the end of March, but for 16 nights.

I have set my itinerary up as follows:

6 nights in Madrid -- 3 days sightseeing in Madrid, with day trips to Toledo, Segovia and El Escorial. Staying at the Tryp Capitol on Gran Via. AVE from Madrid to Sevilla.

4 nights in Sevilla -- 3 days sightseeing in Sevilla, with a day trip to Cordoba. Staying at the Westin Alfonso XIII. Train to Granada.

2 nights in Granada -- 2 days sightseeing in Granada. Staying at the Melia Granada. Fly from Granada to Barcelona.

4 nights in Barcelona -- 4 days sightseeing in Barcelona. Staying at the Rivoli Las Ramblas.

By the way, I booked these hotels through Bancotel, and am using the voucher system.

Many thanks for your opinions.

Aug 16th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Maribel

To colleenk and Khebar,
I've just updated my Seville file; it's on its way to you. Am still working on Cordoba and Granada (much, much smaller) and will send them out when they're finished.

To Leslie,
The Madrid (warning: very, very lengthy!), Barcelona and Sevilla files are on their way. The Madrid file has notes on how to do your day trips easily via public transportation.
I'll send the rest soon. Remember, I said I owed you a file or two in exchange the great traveloge you sent me!

Your itinerary looks great with the perfect amount of time alloted to each destination, as do the Bancotel choices. I've been using those coupons since '94-long before their internet presence, when they only offered hotels in Spain. Saved a bundle on my city lodging

The only hotel I would change, if you could, is the Tryp Capitol. Not the best of the Tryp hotels IMO and right on the most hectic part of the Gran Via. Think "Times Square". Is the Suecia not available for your dates? It's quite nice, with a fantastic, quiet location right behind the Thyssen Museum. Just a thought...

Aug 16th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Leslie

Maribel, I am so flattered that I got this right, or at least close to right. The Suecia is not available for my dates -- well, only one day, the rest are "non-voucher" nights. I did email the Suecia just to see if they might accept the vouchers anyway, and was told that I could book a room at the rack rate , but that they consider March high season. Someone from the Madridman board suggested that I email the Suecia each month beginning in December to inquire anyway, just in case it isn't booked. A voucher and an occupied room, is still better than a vacant room and no voucher.

I'm getting mixed reviews on the Tryp Capitol -- both positive and luke warm, and the only other option is the Tryp Rex (for my time period), which appears to be about a block away. Is one any better than the other?

I'm looking forward to reading your trip notes !!!!!

Aug 16th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Maribel

Leslie,
Tryp Rex and Capitol-six of one, half dozen of the other. Yep, those Madridman people have the right idea; keep emailing the Suecia until the day of arrival and even call them from the airport before you go into town! I'll bet they'll have a voucher room for you. And enjoy those savings!