Reload this Page >

El Nino in Scotland?

Search

El Nino in Scotland?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Eric

El Nino in Scotland?

Has anyone heard whether El Nino's rains will be hitting Scotland this year (dumping more than usual on the countryside)? <BR><BR>I anticipate (and am relatively unconcerned about) rain during a planned trip in November, but flooding wouldn't be so nice when my wife and I visit the country.<BR><BR>THanks, incidentally, to everyone who has provided me with information thus far in my obsessive trip planning.<BR><BR>Eric

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 05:46 AM
spoon

Erm...isn't El Nino is a South Pacific thing, and Scotland a North Atlantic thing?<BR><BR>In any case, the Western Highlands will be very wet, Eastern lowlands drier

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Eric

I've been hearing about massive flooding in Germany, Prague, Russia and areas in the far east. Perhaps El Nino isn't the right phenomenon, but it's still a cause for concern if many areas east of the Atlantic are under water this summer.<BR><BR>ERic

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:39 AM
xxx

No, El Nino is not solely a South Pacific thing. It is a warming of the Pacific, but is linked to weather changes worldwide, including such things as a reduced number of hurricanes in the Atlantic and increased drought in Africa. The best guess seems to be that the recent torrents in Europe are El Nino-related. I guess somebody forgot to close the door that shuts off the air over the Pacific from the rest of the earth's atmosphere.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:42 PM
sylvia

Gee. Do ya think some of it might have a little something to do with GLOBAL WARMING! Duh! But "El Nino" &, yes, in California, we also have "La Nina" sound so much more harmless.