GoToday and Gate1

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Ruth Niblack

GoToday and Gate1

Has anyone used either GoToday and Gate1 as tour operators

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 05:08 AM
CB

Ruth-I've used go-today 3 times, twice to London and once to Paris and all 3 times my trip went without a problem. I even extended our vacation all three times without a hitch with the airlines, transfers or hotels. I would highly recommend them as a budget alternative. Happy travels, CB

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Kay

CB,<BR>Are you saying that you had them extend your trip or that you extended your trip after you booked with them? If the latter, how did you do this?

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:37 AM
Ann

I almost booked a trip with GoToday. Then I sat down and figured out how much it would cost me to book individually--I saved about $450 total by doing it myself. The prices look great until you start adding on everything: it costs extra to travel on the weekend, to go from certain cities (I live in DC, and it would cost $100 extra EACH to fly from here), extra for a car bigger than a bicycle, etc., etc.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:14 AM
Sandy

Same w/me and GoToday . . . everytime I try to snag one of those "great" deals, it turns out to be too much time I add on air from DFW and taxes and all the other little print items.<BR><BR>It does look good if you're in NYC but I can usually beat their deals by a couple of hundred $$.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:58 AM
Ruth Niblack

Ann or Sandy,<BR> Thanks for the responses, am interested in where you got cheaper airline rates. I am looking at the $ 799 London Paris trip on gotoday which includes 6 nights lodging in addition to airfare for May. The airfares I've seeen lately have been that much or more.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 03:30 PM
Karen

Ruth, We used go-today for Paris in November, 2000 with no problems. They did all they promised at a great price. Hotels were good; all connections went smoothly; etc. After checking around, it was the best price at the time...but times do change. Happy travels.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 03:55 PM
Thyra

I am also interested in this.. as I've considered them several times, but as you say... everytime I add on the $150.00 PP to fly from Los Angeles, plus the Taxes, a $799.00 per person trip is more like $2,200.00 for two people.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:31 AM
Sandy

Hi Ruth,<BR><BR>I see you're in Mo, don't know how your air/hubs are there. But, I'm near DFW and can usually get some decent airfares.<BR><BR>Last Mar, we flew to Paris on a fare of $424 (inc taxes/fees) to Paris, booked right w/American. We're budget travelers but figure we're still going to be staying in about the same 3* hotels. We paid $78/double for a large, great room w/bath & balcony, hairdryer, etc. For 6 nights, that would be $468 (half would be $234). Now were up to $658 . . . I think I've already beaten the GoToday price.<BR><BR>Their deals are probably really good IF you live near their hub or if you just don't want to have to bother with searching up the cheapest flights and looking for a hotel. But, to me, that's most of the fun of traveling . . . the planning. <BR><BR>I've also gotten some really good airfares with www.lowairfare.com. On that site, you chat on line with a "live" person (if you don't like her first choice, tell her, she has many more).<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR>Sandy

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 05:47 AM
CB

Kay--When you book with Go-Today.com they will ask you if you wish to extend your stay(I believe up to 30 days), then state in the comment section what dates you would like to return on and if they can accomodate it then they will "book your trip". You can also add extra days on to "their hotel" or go it on your own(which we did). <BR> I do agree with some of the other posters that their air add-ons(at certain times of the year and from certain cities) do make it better to "shop around". I live near Orlando and the air add-ons run anywhere from $50 to $250 depending on when you travel and for the most part I have found them to be a better deal when the add-on is $150 or less from my area than what I could do on my own(and I do shop around). Also IMHO their "best deals" seem to be their London or Paris city packages and their fly/drive packages. But in any event do shop around for the best price and use Go-Today as a barometer as far as cost goes. Hope this helps, Happy Travels, CB