Got your pockets picked in Euro?

Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Got your pockets picked in Euro?

This seems to be an issue that is read about somewhat often. Before I had herd this and as a new traveler purchased a money belt and traveld allover feeling uncomfortable reaching into my trousers for my passpor and $. I stopped traveling this way and just kept enough money for the day in my front pocket and the rest in my bag, or now with my wife.

I was wonce pickpocketed getting onto the subway in Bacelona-It was three against one and happened right at the subway door. I quckly fell to the ground as a measure to keep them away-not sure why because it worked(barely) A few others on the train saw what had happened and no one even commented. I was solo traveling and forced a few comments out of the person I was sitting next to on the train. I reported the incedent and they said this was common. This was about 1999 my last euro trip. But I'm going again in 8 weeks

What is your story
Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:51 AM

Once in Paris I was approached by a young Gypsy girl holding out a map as a ruse to attract my attention by giving her directions while another tried to sneak up behind me to pick my pocket. Fortunately I had been forewarned of this ploy, and when she got close enough I just shoved her away. She lost her balance and fell on her butt. Her little friend behind me stopped dead in her tracks as I turned and gave her my "don't mess with me" stare. I'll never forget the look of the girl sitting on the wet ground looking up at me with a look of total surprise on her face.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:02 AM

So, Brotherleelove, just living your name, by knocking little girls on their butts, huh?

I almost got pickpocketed by a boy while I was filling out postcards while sitting under the Eiffel Tower last September. I caught him out of the corner of my eye -- he was actually reaching for my purse. I said loudly "WHAT are you doing?" and he got real flustered and said (with a disposable camera in hand) "Just a taking pictures." Yeah right. He ran, so he obviously wasn't.

Just one more reason to have a zipper on your purse and carry nothing but a day's worth of cash in it, so if you lose it, your trip isn't ruined.

Viva la moneybelts.

Jules
Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:03 AM

I feel your pain because the only time I have ever been pickpocketed was on the Barcelona Metro and I also feel for the "in the door" routine...and I was not wearing a moneybelt that day...learned my lesson.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:04 AM

This is an excerpt from my trip report of Rome in Feb'06:

"I was enraptured, taking video inside the Curia Julia. There was a crush of people behind me and I thought that a member of our group was the person sort of leaning on my right side breathing heavily in my ear. That is, until I felt the zipper on my shoulder bag slowly being opened. The rest happened so quickly. Just as I turned to see what was happening, I heard someone shouting in Italian. (I still donít know if they saw or knew what was happening or were warning the girls to get out of Dodge.) Anyway, the next thing I knew, my purse had a zipper undone and there were two young (teenage?) girls taking off up the back side of the Forum with their long hair swinging down their backs. Well, I got a little excited because I had actually been pickpocketed in Rome, just like all the warnings! However, because of the warnings, my valuables were safely tucked away, inaccessible to any pickpocket, and all the girls got for their efforts was a small cosmetic bag containing a Chapstick, eye drops and an lipstick.

I was excited and considered this an adventure until we were speaking to someone at Pompeii the next day who had been pickpocketed and lost all her credit cards. Of course, pickpockets are not a joke and can cause harm. Iím just thankful that I didnít have the attitude ďIt wonít happen to meĒ and prepared, as well as insisting that my companions do the same so that this incident is just an amusing anecdote rather than inconvenient at best and tragic at worst."

The funny thing is, when I looked at the video I had taken, I realized I captured the girl front and center! I must have just swung around when I felt her, camera still running. What a souvenir!
Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:04 AM

I've always just made myself a hard target (wallet in front pocket, hand often brushes it as I walk, or hand in pockets where I can feel it), and in 2.5 years of living in DC, 3 months in London, and 5 weeks around Europe (mostly Germany), have never (to my knowledge) been attempted to be pickpocketed. Still, on my next trip (first time really solo travelling besides a week in NYC) I'm wearing a money belt just in case, and have some backup cash hidden elsewhere.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:27 AM

I have been picked twice: both in Barcelona, in 1999 and 2000. In 1999 my wallet was stolen out of my backpack in one of the towers of hte Sagrada Familia. In 2000 my mother and I were walking to our hotel when 2 men ran out from a small side street and one grabbed my purse, yanked and ran with it, leaving me with the strap still on my shoulder.

Now I simply do not carry anything. If I have a camera, it is strapped into my hand, and if I don't have pockets and have to carry a bag, it is very guarded. Living in the Raval in Barcelona sort of trained me, though, and I am no longer scared.