google hangout/Sim/vodafone again

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, this is a continuation of my question about a Sim card in Amsterdam with Vodafone. I am wondering after I get the google hangout installed, which I've done already, do I have to activate a google account? Maybe I already did this? This is confusing. Help again? maybe I have to wait until I am in Amsterdam when the Sim card will be installed, but if I have the google hangout app, is it automatically actived? I hope this makes sense. Sue
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 03:04 PM

If you already have Google Hangouts working on your phone, it will work the same in Europe, no matter what SIM you are using. Just remember to add the +1 prefix in front of US phone numbers to call them while in Europe.
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Andrew, Don't I have to have a google account? Sue
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 06:09 PM

I thought you said you'd already used Hangouts to call someone? You must have a Google account to use Hangouts.

If you have not yet used Hangouts, then yes, you'll need to get a Google account if you don't already have one. If you have Gmail or some other Google account, you already have a Google account. You don't need another Google account.

Google should walk you through the account process just by starting Hangouts. It should ask you to sign in or create a new account.

If you can make a phone call on Hangouts now, then you are done. No need to create or do anything else once you get to Europe. Nothing will change just by using the phone in Europe or using the Vodafone SIM. Google Hangouts will work the same. Your Google account will be the same.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Andrew, I just think I am getting anxious about whether this will work. Appreciate all the help. Sue
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 05:46 PM

Just remember, there are two completely separate issues here:

1. Will Google Hangouts work? If it works at home on this same phone, then YES, IT WILL WORK IN EUROPE TOO, as long as your phone has internet. (Just remember to add the +1 to US phone numbers over there.)

Phone on the hotel WiFi? No problem. If no WiFi, then you need mobile internet, through a SIM card.

2. Will the Vodafone SIM card work in my phone? I can only say probably - because even though it worked in my phone, I've never used your phone.

It's a shame you can't find someone to help you try out your SIM given that you already have one. Then at least you'd know ahead of time that all you have to do in Amsterdam is buy the top-up so you can get 3GB of data for a month. You'll already know that the SIM works in your phone and will roam - no uncertainty. You won't have to have some Vodafone agent trying to muck with your phone to see which setting you need to turn on for roaming if need be.

As a backup plan, you might ask Verizon (you're with Verizon aren't you?) to enable the $10/day roaming plan in case you need it. That way, if you have some issue with the SIM you don't figure out until you get to Europe, at least you can still use the phone on some days. If the Vodafone SIM works as planned, you'll never have to use the $10/day plan so it won't cost you a thing.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 09:28 PM

I just got back from Europe and used Three UKs SIM , which worked fine in Netherlands, France and UK. The nice thing about that one is that you can get all the set up done here in the US and get it roaming here and have one less thing to worry about when you land. Now that 15 June has passed it is likely that all the carriers have reacted differently and the choices will be different.
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

OK Andrew and others, the google hangout does work in the US, I called several friends and it worked. I have the Sim card and will have it installed by Vodafone in Amsterdam. My son "gets this" techy stuff, so he will help me with glitches, and he also has a cell phone. So I will quit worrying about this, OK? Thanks for the help. Now on to another issue. Sue
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I correct in thinking that Hangouts will work to call the US, but I would need Google Voice (and money in an account) to make WiFi calls to Europe? And would Voice allow receipt of calls and text messages within Europe?
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 05:55 AM

"Am I correct in thinking that Hangouts will work to call the US, but I would need Google Voice (and money in an account) to make WiFi calls to Europe? And would Voice allow receipt of calls and text messages within Europe?"

If you are asking that, while in Europe, can you make outgoing calls within Europe on GV, the answer is yes. Yes, you need GV credit.

My wife called her Mom in Ukraine last weekend from Paris ( and didn't tell her where we were so as not to worry her). It was just like her usual call on GV from home, just hit the button and talk.

And GV works in Europe to receive calls, VM and text.
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, that was what I was asking, and thanks for the confirmation. If someone calls GV while I am not on WiFi or the phone is off, will there be some kind of automatic voicemail or text notice when I am back on WiFi?
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 07:02 AM

Yes. Depending on how you have GV set up, you will get an email with an attached mp3 file, a transcript of the message , a text, or all three. They will show up once you are connected to wifi or a data connection.
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 07:32 AM

Google Voice is a bit complex. It's both a service for making and receiving calls...and an app on your phone.

Google Voice lets you make calls with your phone's dialer using your Google number instead of your cell phone number. That won't work when you are outside the US.

When you receive calls on Google Voice, it forwards the calls to whichever phones you have chosen in your account - could be your cell phone, your home phone, your Skype number, a second cell phone...or all of them. Those will continue to receive calls no matter where you are - but if those phones aren't active (say your cell phone won't work overseas), then the calls go to voicemail or whatever - like being home in the US and having your cell phone turned OFF.

(You need at least one working phone number to set up Google Voice the first time - like a home phone or a cell phone - but once you have done that, you can turn off call forwarding to all of them if you wish.)

But you can also receive Google Voice calls (and texts) with Hangouts. And that works anywhere, as long as your phone is connected to the internet. In fact, that's my primary phone service now. I make and receive all my cell phone calls with Google Hangouts. My service works exactly the same anywhere in the world - except to make calls while outside the US, I may have to dial a "+1" in front of those numbers.

Yes, Google Voice has voicemail, which you can receive anywhere. Their voicemail even allows for "vacation messages."
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 07:35 AM

(May have to dial +1 to call US numbers, I mean; I'd dial + and the country code to call phones in other countries, which as noted above isn't free.)