Reload this Page >

Good Turkey Read

Search

Good Turkey Read

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 08:51 AM
geri

Good Turkey Read

I'm touring Turkey next month with Pacha Tours and looking for a good appropriate book to read, not a tour book, but maybe an interesting historical novel. Any ideas? <BR><BR>Thanks, Geri

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 03:48 PM
ridem

<BR>Try a search at www.amazon.com <BR><BR>There are a number of very popular Turkish writers available in translation. The on-line reviews may help you if you are looking for modern Turkish fiction. Might look at the work of Orhan Pamuk, Latife Tekin,Yashar Kemal. Pamuk has written several novels set in the Ottoman era. <BR><BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:46 AM
geri

To Ridem: Thanks for the names of some Turkish authors. I've ordered Pamuk's 'The New Life' and Kemals 'Salman the Solitary' for my pre-trip reading.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:38 AM
What I'm Reading

I'm preparing for an upcoming trip to Turkey, too. I'm currently reading "Ancient Turkey-A Traveller's History" by Seton Lloyd. I would recommend it if your Turkish history is a little lacking, and you want a solid historical perspective to start your travels with.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:54 AM
xxx

Try - My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 11:59 AM
ridem

Seton Lloyd's book is indeed good. So also is Lord Kinross' classic biography "Ataturk" about the founder of the modern Turkish state, and his "Ottoman Centuries" is also a good overview of Ottoman history for the casual history reader. Both are available in inexpensive paperback format.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:10 AM
carol

"The Stone Woman" by Tariq Ali. It is historical fiction, about a wealthy family at the end of the 19th century. His writing is almost poetic in the descriptions.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Ninsun

Crescent & Star, by Stephen Kinzer (NY Times bureau cheif in Istanbul), provides an introductory look at modern Turkey with some explanantion of significant historical events. I enjoyed it.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Daisy

I spent 5 weeks in Turkey a couple of years ago. One of those weeks I was on a Pacha Tour and found them really really good. Our guide was Mustafa, who was the most intelligent guide I've ever met. He made his country's history come alive. As well as a book, make sure you get a good map as soon as you arrive - it will be a great help.<BR><BR>At the end of my trip around Turkey, I found a terrific bookshop in Istanbul which sells English-language books about Turkey. It's on the main drag where the tram line goes down to Topkapi Palace - diagonally opposite a McDonalds - do look for it.<BR><BR>I bought "Constantinople - City of Worlds Desire, 1453 - 1924" by Philip Mansel. Wish I'd read it before I left - I would have had a much better appreciation of the place. It gives a real indepth analysis of how the place evolved historically and politically.<BR><BR>Another terrific book, tho not about Turkey specifically, was "Leo the African" by Amin Maalouf.<BR><BR>Have a great time. Turkey is one of my favourite places.