Good Paella

Jul 31st, 2003, 09:41 AM
n_marquis

Good Paella

We are going to Madrid, Toledo, Seville,Ronda, Granada and Malaga. My husband is looking for REALLY good paella, and not the frozen kind that some restaurants have. Can you recommend some restaurants that serve amazing paella in these cities? Thanks

Jul 31st, 2003, 09:58 AM
mnc

Unfortunately, in the cities you have listed paella is NOT good. In fact, it is quite different to the real thing. If you want to taste a good, real paella you should go to Valencia. This is where paella comes from, and people still cook it the old way. In Valencia, the best place to eat it is in El Palmar, or El Saler, which are villages just out of the city.
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:32 PM
n_marquis

I am really very surprised to hear that that is the only location that has good paella. Surely there must be somewhere else.

Aug 1st, 2003, 06:19 AM

Even in the Valencia region it is possible to get rather ordinary (simple)paella. I was quite disappointed, but must admit that I had not done any proper selecting before a spur of the moment 'Paella para mi' slipped out.

This ordinariness is perhaps made more understandable by remembering that paella started off life as a peasant dish - a way to stretch leftovers using rice. This is the same 'stretching' roll played by beans in cassoulet; by kale in Dutch stamppot; by potatoes and cabbage in bubble-and-sqeak; by rice in rissotto; by beans in chili con carne; etc.

I suppose the fancier the left-overs (pate de foie gras; chorizo sausages; Belgian asparagus) and spices (saffron), the fancier the peasant dish becomes. As with many such dishes, the trick is a know when to add the various ingredients so that everything finishes with the perfect degree of cooking, and not with tough clams, stodgy rice, chewy calamari, over-crunchy carrots, raw rabbit, etc.

Peter
Aug 1st, 2003, 07:28 AM

Try this in Madrid: http://www.paellas-gala.com/
Aug 1st, 2003, 10:36 PM

mnc--Any suggestions for Alicante? Or Murcia?

Have to admit, I agree with you about the paella that I had in Seville.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 02:54 AM

n_marquis: In Madrid, try the Hotel Diana out near the airport. The Restaurant is called el Pato Mudo and they prepare a decent Paella.

artlover: We had an excellent Paella in Alicante's Hotel Palas Restaurant.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 03:31 AM
cabicou

Sorry, MNC, I have to diagree with you. Go to any seaside restaurant and you will find great paellas. This is especially true for Malaga in the Pedregalejo and El Palo areas. I like Miguel el carinoso.

Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:01 AM
mnc

I can't really recommend any place outside Valencia. But, bear in mind: real paella must NOT contain any of the following ingredients: chorizo, pepper, peas, carrots.
The problem is, most restaurants in Spain know that tourists want to try paella, so they will cook any kind of rice dish in a paella (the recipient, I mean) and offer it as the original one. Tehese dishes may be delicious, but they have nothing to do with the real thing.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 10:59 AM

My 2 cents:when you're in Malaga go to Puerto Banus in Marbella and eat a delicious paella in Antonios. You can't go wrong there!
Aug 4th, 2003, 10:57 AM

We ate at La Barraca in Madrid.. thoroughly enjoyed it.. may not be completely "authentic" but as long as it is good why would you care?? V. reasonable prices and service.. Indeed, after trying quite a few other places (not for Paella) we finished our trip eating there three times.. The last night everyone was very sad when we told them we were leaving.. poured seconds free of a very good brandy!!
Aug 4th, 2003, 11:29 AM
aj

While in Seville this past May we had great Paella at El 3 de Oro Restaurante, Santa Ma La Blanca, 34, Sevilla. We chose seafood Paella and the service was great. It took about 30-40 minutes for the order to come to the table. We were told it was made to order not frozen.
Aug 4th, 2003, 11:33 AM

I used to live in Valencia, and I've been all over Espana, and Valencia is THE place to get paella. I know it's crazy- but it's a ritual there. They use only certain vegetables, they use only use Valencian water(the REAL Valencianos). The town itself is worth a stop. The mercado central is fabulous. Plaza Ayjunimento(sp) is all a hustle and for the Fallas festival the plaza becomes the apex for the "night of fire". While you are there try come horchettia(sp) a delicious cold beverage.
Aug 4th, 2003, 12:16 PM
mnc

You!re right, princessmu. Only, it's not "horchettia", but "horchata" or "orxata", if it's written in Valencian.
Aug 4th, 2003, 09:45 PM

CASA EL SALVADOR going from Valencia to a town called Tavernes de Valdigana or maybe CASA VICTOR in that town!
THE BEST PAELLA EVER!!!
ENJOY!
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Maira

princessmu--- you reminded me of the delicious Horchata that was always awaiting us kids at home when we returned from school. The most refreshing beverage ever! Second the suggestions to give it a try.