Good Maps Florence and Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi can anyone recommend a good paper map of Florence and Venice. I’ve started looking but with so many choices not sure what to do. My husband would like to bring our phones but I’m worried prices for data will be astronomical. We currently have AT&T. Hubby is great with maps and directions, any recommendation is appreciated.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:38 PM

>>> My husband would like to bring our phones but I’m worried prices for data will be astronomical.

It would be $0 if you don't use data. You are perhaps assuming data connection is needed to use the basic map function.

You can download offline target maps at home. Google map lets you do this. Then turn off mobile data (or at least the roaming part) also when it is time to put your phone in airplane mode. Keep your mobile data off until you return home.
Use just the phone's hardware GPS function. It takes longer to find you location than without mobile data, but it would eventually.

If you are not sure how to do it, you can fully test how it works at home right now.

Street names are available in offline mode.

What you miss without data is a capability to look up any current info: traffic, street images, name of the businesses, etc.

HERE map app also lets you download maps and use it offline. I download both.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 04:16 AM

Do bring your smart phone, it will be a big help.

I did similar to what Greg said. I turned the Airplane Mode ON before boarding an airplane. At the destination country I turned WIFI on to connect to free WIFI at the airport or hotel or cafe (still keeping the Airplane Mode ON all the time). This way you won't use anything other than free WIFI, your phone will not ring either.

I loaded each day's target map using the hotel's WIFI before setting out in the morning. Then when I was out and about the GPS blue dot indicated where I was on the map.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 07:34 AM

I am an unrepentent user of paper maps. We also have apps on my husband's smartphone, but I like to spread out a map the evening before we go exploring andd learn my way around ahead of time. Check out Streetwise maps. They are laminated, which I love (so are some IGN maps, but they are mainly or entirely for France).
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found the Streetwise map for Venice pretty good. However, the maps app on a smart phone is very useful, as it has up-to-the-minute public transport info (although you probably don't need that for Florence and Venice). I have a month-by-month deal with T-Mobile that gets me unlimited low speed data in 120 countries for around 50 USD/month. You could do that just for one month.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 09:03 AM

Alas, Streetwise Maps are no more, and earlier versions go for gobs of money. I've been told the Red Map series of similar but those are waaaay more flimsy. More like coated paper than laminated maps like Streetwise.

I like using my phone for turn by turn instructions, but I still prefer maps for that big picture view.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 09:48 AM

Really, PegS? I googled and got loads of hits, but admit I didn't start going through them. That would be a shame.
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked Amazon before I posted, because I, too, thought they had stopped printing. I think the Venice map was around seven USD.