What is the better deal?: GPS or Data

Old Feb 15th, 2017, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the better deal?: GPS or Data

So my husband and I were just talking about the best way to get from place to place, direction wise. Our world has become so GPS focused that I can't imagine life without turn by turn directions. However, if someone just used a road map of Ireland and had great luck, I am totally open.

Now, to my question. To use my cell phone data in Ireland, Verizon will charge me $10/day (on the days I use it). So, if we use it on the 6 days we are driving (I don't plan on using data when we don't have a car), that is $60. Is that cheaper then renting a GPS in the car? I am struggling finding a price quote for a GPS addition.

As I am typing this, my husband just texted me the option of bringing a GPS with us. Even though so many people just use Google Maps, I am sure I could find someone that has one we could borrow. Please forgive me as this will sound silly, would this work?

Just curious to hear ya'lls experience with navigation in Southern Ireland.

Thanks!
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 06:58 AM

Download Here , download the map for Ireland. It will give you turn by turn directions with a spoken voice, without using data (provided you have remembered to turn data off!). Do take a car charger though as it is heavy on phone batteries.
Google allow you to use maps offline too, but I don't know if they have voice instructions, as I only use Here.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 08:36 AM

We usually take a portable GPS with us, but if you are in the US or Canada, you will likely have to download maps which will run you about $70 or so. Ours is a Tom Tom and came with UK maps, But that is not too common.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 08:40 AM

I take my GPS everywhere I go.
Plus maps.
And my cellphone as a back up.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, GPS costs nothing, the good old Americans have given it to us for free. You don't even need a SIM in your phone.

You don't need google maps to access GPS, you can use lots of different maps which you down load where they are free, a good one is "here".

I take my phone everywhere and use GPS and it costs me nothing, niente, nulla.

So take your phone, and a USB charging lead for the car, turn on GPS, take an APP and buy a cheap road map when you get to ireland for planning, it will cost you about E7.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 10:26 AM

I'm old enough to have used a Slide Rule so map and road signs are generally enough to get by. Gps on an Android phone is a tech option. Some rental cars come with sat nav anyway these days whether you buy it as an option or not.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 05:50 PM

You're going to want to use your phone for more than just gps (internet for looking up restaurants, sites, random Googling, etc.) so just get a SIM card with fixed amount of data when you get there for $20-50. You'll be glad you have working data when you are out of wifi range. Of course you will need to unlock your phone, but that's even not too difficult with the evil AT&T.