good manners on Malta-Gozo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many posters have complained about rude people on Malta, and it has occurred to me that we travelers may be overlooking some rule of good manners that might make the difference. I am thinking about reports of rude Frenchpeople, but I recently realized that we foreigners do not know that it is imperitive to start every interaction with "bon jour"; having learned this, I have not had even one rude reaction from a Frenchperson. Perhaps there is a similiar convention on Malta and Gozo. Any ideas?
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 06:55 AM

I have never heard that Maltese would be rude. At least they were not rude to me, quite the contrary. I have a special talent to get royally lost no matter where I am, and in Malta people more than once walked with me long stretches to get me where I wanted to go, just to make sure that I donīt get lost again.

I think it is a rule to greet people before you start talking to them or enter their establishment. At least I do it everywhere, no matter what country.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 07:45 AM

I also never had any problems in Malta. In respect to how I was treated in Gozo it was very much like in rural Bavaria, (and most places except Brunei in that respect) polite and respectful. .
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 08:11 AM

"Many posters have complained about rude people on Malta ..."

Many? I haven't read one post complaining about the Maltese. Generalizations are risky, so I'll simply say that all the people I met there were reserved, warm, and cordial.

Anselm
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 09:37 AM
JP

I don't remember meeting any rude people in Malta.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Never encountered any problems in Malta/Gozo during our visit-we found everyone to be very friendly and quite helpful, especially on the bus as we were making our way to the Hypogeum and having difficulty in determining which stop to get off at. With help, we (barely) made our ticket time, but we made it none-the-less.

Don't recall any specific posts about 'rude people on Malta'- which ones are you refering to?
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Amy

I encountered many polite, helpful, and friendly people in Malta. Some of them were not gregarious, but that makes me happy rather than the reverse.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

I'm so glad to read all your responses! The negative comments I read were in hotel reviews on tripadvisor.com. Thanks for your responses.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:05 PM

Thanks for clarifying that humanone. I thought at first your post was a joke as I can't imagine people talking about rude Maltese. That just wasn't my experience at all -- but then I'm always at a loss when people talk about the rude French also.