Gondola rides

Jan 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Gondola rides

Hello,
Do Gondolas have to return to there starting point or do they go one way?? Also has anyone taken a gondola ride though the whole grand canal? I know it's expensive but it's our honeymoon....
Thank,
Peter
Jan 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM

you can talk to the gondolier before you accept him and work out where you want to go: one way, return, which canals, how long, the price can all be worked out before you set foot on board. Have fun.
Jan 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Hi

This link may help too - http://www.gondolavenezia.it/storia_tariffe.asp?Pag=43
Jan 25th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Any of those routes more (or less) appealing than the others..?
Jan 25th, 2007, 08:17 PM

*Definitely* take one on your honeymoon!
Jan 25th, 2007, 08:17 PM

Wouldn't the Grand Canal be rather busy and choppier than going thru the small canals..?

Also, I read to be sure and check for high-tide to avoid unpleasant seaweed or debris that shows at low tide. Do you agree?
Jan 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM

I like going around most of the smaller canals, with a brief foray onto the Grand Canal & view of the Rialto Bridge from the water.

We pick up this route in the gondola hub behind San Marco on the way to Locanda Orseolo.
Jan 25th, 2007, 08:24 PM

As for times, we've gone early morning, afternoon, and evening. I preferred the morning, but I think low tide is less likely in the afternoon - the hotel could be consulted about a good time to go.
Jan 26th, 2007, 05:00 AM

You don't indicate when you are going- will it be warm weather? It was recommended to us to go at sunset, and that was magical. The Grand Canal is choppy and filled with all kinds of other boats- most of the gondolas go through the smaller side canals. I think asking your hotel for help with which one to use is a great idea. However, we also got the tip to take the vaporetto up and down the entire Grand Canal as a final farewell before leaving-again, finishing around sunset- if you can manage a seat outside and in the front it is inexpensive and fantastic!
Jan 26th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for you feedback. We're going to be there in early May with Caranval Cruise. My plan was to hire a gondola from around the San Marco area and take it to at least Rialto bridge. Does anyone knows how long that would take?????
Thanks
Peter
Jan 26th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Since the Rialto Bridge is actually in the San Marco area, it could take as little as 2 seconds. But if you mean taking it from St. Mark's Square, then I'd say it would take something like 15 minutes going strictly up the Grand Canal. Going through the much more scenic and calm back canals it could take as much as an hour (or days if you wanted to).
Feb 7th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Bookmarking. . .