Going to Paris for the first time.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Paris for the first time.

I plan to go to Paris for the first time next March. How long should I stay in Paris? Some of my friends say one week. Another friend says two weeks. I hope to see a lot of museums, go to Versailles, and take a side trip to Fountainebleau.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
How long can you afford to stay? That's how long I would stay----cannot ever get enough of Paris IMO.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:39 PM

What TPAYT said. If you love museums, you might want to go back to some a couple of times.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
ron

Your friends know you better than we do. Why don't you ask the one that said two weeks to detail what he/she did during his/her visit to say if that would match your interests.

If I had 2 weeks in France, 4 or 5 days in Paris would be enough for me and I would go elsewhere for the rest of the time. My last visit to France was one night in Normandy, 7 nights in Brittany, 3 nights in the Loire Valley and 3 nights in Paris.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM

I think a week to 10 days is a good amount of time. That will allow time for side trips and to get a good overview of Paris. Add Chartres as a side trip.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM

A week is just about enough time to whet your appetite. DW and I are heading back next March as well, with our niece and nephew. You'll have to really determine which/how many museums you want to see. I wouldn't miss Versailles for anything. You can likely add Chartres to the day you do Versailles, just train out to Chartres on the first train, spend the morning, then on way back to Paris, stop for the rest of the afternoon in Versailles. It'll depend on when in March you're going, the later in the month, the more daylight. Nearly two hours more daylight on March 31, vs. March 1.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:08 PM

I'm with TPAYT on this - stay as long as you can afford to do so - you will have no problem filling your days. What's your age? Will you be solo or with one or more companions? Versailles and Fontainebleua are easy day trips from Paris.
BTW, if you will be there a week or more you can probably save on lodging costs by booking a studio apartment.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

I'm 46 and I will be traveling alone.

If I were planning a two-week trip to France and I decided to stay, say, 10 days in Paris, where should I go for my other four days? Normandy? The wine country? The south of France?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:07 PM

IMO, four days isn't enough for the South of France. You could divide your time evenly- 7 days Paris (with one of those days as a day trip to Versaille) and 7 days in Provence OR 8-9 days Paris (one day to Versaille) and the rest in Normandy. In both Normandy and Provence you will need a car. but if I can drive there so can you.
Ann Marie
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM

I recommend you ask yourself what is that you want to get out of this trip. If your objective is to stay the number of nights in certain places someone else told you, then your approach would be relevant. However, if you have definite ideas on what you want, then starting the plan by defining the days would probably not accomplish your objectives.

Lay out some options: e.g. Paris 7 days, Normandy 3 days, Loire 4 days. List pros and cons and what you can do with this itinerary.

Then lay out several other options: e.g. Paris 5 days, Provence 5 days, Loire 4 days, etc. List what you can do with this plan. Come up with several more other itineraries.

Then select which option give you most what you are looking for within your constraints.

It is your trip, right?

The March timing disfavors many destinations, but you might have compelling reasons you have not shared here.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM

Can you be flexible with your trip? Have a 3-5 day reservation in Paris and then play it by ear?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:25 PM

I'd get a few guides to Paris, make a list of the sites that interest me, do a schedule, and see how many days that adds up to.
I've been 9/10 times, and still have not seen everything on my list.

Oh, and part of my experience in Paris includes cafes, parks,etc..i.e. time to just take it in.

There are many day trips possible from Paris (some have done London this way!) so booking the full time in Paris and having a list of potential day trips could give you maximum flexibility.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

greg - The reason for going in March is due to my heavy workload that begins in April of every year. So in the past, I've visited Prague/Brno/Budapest in March 2005 and Rome/Naples/Florence/Venice/Milan in March 2008.

As of today, I have not bought my ticket yet. However, I'm seeing roundtrip deals from San Francisco to Paris in March 2011 for $749. Once I saw this low price, I jumped on Fodors to get some additional information about what to see in France/Paris. I also ran down to Barnes and Noble this evening to thumb through various travel books on France, Paris, and Provence. Based on the number of things to do and see in France, I may have to lengthen my trip from two weeks to three.

RainyDay09 - Thanks for the comments. To a certain extent, I will play it by ear. But for the most part I like to have my itinerary set in stone when I go on my trip.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:57 PM

For a two-week trip in March, I think you are better off staying in Paris in an apartment and doing day trips as weather permits rather than book yourself into a fixed agenda.

The major art museums of Paris are enormous and I prefer not to spend more than a couple of hours at a time in a large art museum at a stretch. My preferred way of visiting the huge museums in Paris is to make repeat visits. If I spend a few hours at the Louvre in a day, then I spend the rest of the day at other types of places -- museums that are not art museums or a much, much smaller art museum.

I also agree that the parks of Paris are among its greatest art works and features.

The Basilica of St Denis is a spectacular architectural achievement, and easily reached by Metro from the touristic center of Paris.

For day trips. in addition to Versaille, I would go to Belgium. And if I decided to break my trip into two locations, Paris plus something else, I would choose Belgium as the other destination, or Amsterdam if it appeals to you (but the food isn't as good!)

Have a great trip!
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM

BrainV,

We were posting at the same time. If you have three weeks, getting beyond Paris makes sense, but bear in mind that the weather can be stormy and wet in Spring, curtailing the enjoyment of some types of destinations. I might stick to cities reachable by fast train, and if you are at all comfortable with playing it by ear for weather reasons, you won't have trouble finding hotel space in March for last-minute reservations.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:43 AM

Hmmmmm....what a dilemma. Weather is a consideration. I would spend 9 days (you'll be jet-lagged for 2 days, at least) in Paris, take the TGV to Aix-en-Provence, rent a car (which are all at the TGV station outside of AIX) with GPS, spend a week exploring Provence (a trapezoid between Orange (N), Nimes (W), Arles (S) and Bonnieux (E). And then spend a week exploring the Côtes d'Azur, with Nice (or, better yet, Villefranche-sur-Mer) as a base. We (also from SF) did this for the month of March, 08...except we were in Geneva for 2 days and then skiing at Trois Vallées (Albertville Olympics) instead of Paris. The weather will likely be better in the South than Paris or the North. All three are good contrasts from each other. Return the car at the Nice airport, fly to Paris and then home. It will be WONDERFUL!!! I envy you.
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:42 AM
tod

Make Paris your base for 3 weeks. Rent an apartment.
Take day trips out of Paris central every 4/5 days.
Research, research, research cafe`s, restaurants, bars, and unusual places to go! Here's a start in no particular order:

http://www.vrbo.com/103254
http://www.aveyron.com/english/phbis...stebistro.html
http://www.frenchfling.com/
http://www.tomsguidetoparis.com/HangingOut.php
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:49 PM

The last time I went to France I saved almost $400 on airfare by doing an openjaw flight into Brussels and departing from Paris. If you decide you want to break things up a little you might check into an openjaw and enjoy a couple days in Brussels then head to Paris via the TGV. Just another idea...
Ann Marie
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:52 AM

I live in Paris and I still do not have the time to see everything, so definitely recommend a nice long stay. If you fancy a couple of days visiting tourists places along the Seine, take a look at: http://www.parisbyphoto.com/tours/batobus/ it is based on the assumption you will use the Batobus (which I love) however there are other options if you do not fancy that.

The Marais is also worth a visit and you can easily spend a day there on foot exploring all the different streets and various museums. Take a look here for a recommend half-day itinerary: http://www.parisbyphoto.com/tours/

If you fancy visiting some of the off-the-beaten-track places, I bought a book recently called 'Quiet Corners of Paris' by Jean-Christophe Napias. I hope to start exploring and photographing the places in the book soon, as they look great. The traditional tourists spots are cool, but sometimes it is nice to get away from those places and see something different.

The weather this year has been pretty poor, but Paris can be fun regardless of the weather. To hedge yourself, perhaps a 50/50 split between Paris and the south would be best. That said, we have had glorious sunshine for the past 5 days or so, which I am loving!