Going to London In January.

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Going to London In January.

I'm going to London towards the end of January (2004) and I've been going through every hotel and airline website looking for a good deal for a 4 star hotel in the So. Kensington or Knightsbridge area. I stayed at the Flemings Mayfair in May and at Harrington Hall last October and I much prefer the So. Kensington location. My problem is that I expected to see some fairly good hotel price deals since I figured January would not be a high tourist time. I actually saw a lot of prices lower in the spring than I'm seeing for mid-end of January. Would I be wiser to wait until closer to January before I book a room? Airlines are a different matter - it scares me to wait too long because I live on the southern coast of North Carolina and have to drive 3 hours to an airport that still doesn't offer too many options. Does anyone have any advice?
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:20 AM

Normally January is quite slow, but you never know; there might be a big trade fair or something like that. I had a really good rate last Jan. at the Sheraton Belgravia, something like 120 including full breakfast. Or try Myhotel Chelsea, just behind the Conran Shop, off Fulham Road; short walk to South Ken, great area, and the hotel's direct rates are quite good; I paid about 115 pounds for a double there. I can really recommend this place. Think their website is myhotels.co.uk.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:04 AM

If try www.laterooms.com close to deaprture, usually you could find fairly good rate.I have dont it quite a few times.

Or you could try Londontoem.com, for instance,the Radisson Vanderdit(near Harrods) at the period is for 98 pounds for 2 per night.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 08:28 AM

I agree with JudyC....Laterooms.com can offer some great values. I suggest you check out the website now and get familiar with how it works, and start selecting "candidate" hotels, so you will know which of the hundreds of hotels listed you are interested in. Then 3 weeks before your arrival day, go to the web site and see what kind of prices you get.

A second option is to use Priceline, but be sure to review previous winning bids at biddingfortravel before you bid on anything at priceline.

A third option is to check thru British Airways web site (www.ba.com). They offer package deals for Land Only packages (hotels only, no air) and sometimes offer some pretty good values.

Cheers and say hi to 'Liz for me
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 09:53 AM

HI
many land-only packages quote prices based on double-occupancy. For those of us who ever travel on our own, the lowest prices will definitely not apply.

You might want to compare air fare prices by calculating flying to a large hub airport such as Atlanta or New York, and getting the cheaper transatlantic fare from there. It may or not be worth the extra time.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Elaine, your reply brings up a subject that never fails to aggravate me - "higher rate for single occupancy". If a hotel offers a single or twin I usually opt for the more expensive twin room (even though I only really need 1 bed) because I'm afraid a single room with 1 twin bed is down in the dungeon next to "the innkeepers mad uncle whose been locked away for 40 years". However, some websites have their rates listed "per room". That makes a lot more since to me. I think I will take everyones advice and and wait until a little closer to January. Thanks.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Eleaine, I feel your pain! I too am a single traveller and have felt the "pinch" of extra fees because I'm travelling alone, though this is not always the case.

FYI...
LateRooms.com does not charge more for a single traveller; often times a single room is cheaper than a double.

BA.com (hotel only) prices are priced per room and by the number of occupants.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Linda I just booked a room through londontown.com at the Millenium Knightsbridge for 99 pounds. Its on Sloane street right around the corner from Harrods (less than a 5 min walk). Although the standard double room is small I love the location.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 06:08 PM

hello fellow carolinian!

I am leaving for london in less than 48 hours. if you see my email address send me a line...I would love to share some tips between us. You say you live in a small coastal town and that means we are within spitting distance. (does NB mean anything to you?).

I have a great recommendation and will be able to tell you more in about 2 days. The Millennium hotel line has 2 or 3 great hotels in the S. Kensington area. The one I am staying in this time is the Millennium Gloucester and it is about 2 steps from the tube stop in a great neighborhood.

I recommend you looking for specials over the next month for either the Gloucester or the Baileys. (they are right next to each other, the tube stop is out the door of the lobby and across the street...it has a diner across the street, a grocery store down the block and a pharmacy across the road...restaurants galore in the neighborhood and half of london tourist stuff is less than 10 blocks aways...harrods, v&A, kensington palace,).

As degas would say...who's your family? I may know some of them! Send me a line!

As for American Airlines...you would be going out of Raleigh and I have found that prices or specials start around the 90 day mark. They should be advertising winter specials within the next 30 days. try to book midweek (leaving mon-wed and returning on a tue-fri).

I found some great specials and restaurant recommendations and know of some great things to visit! Will let you know!

erinb
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 07:25 PM

Hi linda,

I just checked out american airlines as an example leaving january 21st and returning on january 28th. I asked an early evening flight going and a noon flight returning (I know that flights 174/173 out of raleigh exist) and the site came back with the flight for about $452 roundtrip (that includes taxes and tags).

This is not bad at all. I have seen less on specials but they are usually out of nyc and we carolinians have to pay for the flight to and from. why bother!

you might find a lower special if you wait a while, but probably not on that flight and from raleigh.

just for your info.