Search

Going to London

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to London

Hello,
I'm traveling to London with my husband for 6 days next month. He will be doing business mostly, so I'm looking for "must see" attractions I can find by myself.

Thanks for any and all tips!
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:00 PM

Contact the British Tourist Authority for their monthly planner. It lists all the major attractions and tells you what the nearest Underground stop is. Get yourself a good street map which will include a tube map so you know which tube line to take. And take a hop on/hop off bus ride to familiarize yourself with the major sights to help you to decide which ones you want to spend more time with. Don't be afraid to ask questions of people who don't appear to be in a rush. Most people are pleasant and happy to help.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:07 PM

There are lots to see in London and the previous poster gave really good advice.

As for the tube it is very simple to use and once you know your destination there are directions in the tube stations that are very easy to follow.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:05 PM

Hi kuskwah,

A great place to start would be something like the London section on Fodors. That will list all of most people's "must-sees," although yours may be different. Is there anything in particular you're interested in? For example, if you're into fashion or design, I'd say the Victoria & Albert museum is a must-see for you. But for others, maybe not.

I agree with the others' comments - just about any tourist guide will have tube stops listed for each attraction, and the London Underground is the easiest public transport I've ever used. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty simple. If you're used to taking public transport, buses can also be very helpful.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM

http://www.londontown.com/ has info on sightseeing and you can sign up for their monthly events newsletter.

Also check out http://www.visitlondon.com/

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/inde...;loc_id=133404
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are quite literally a hundred "must see's" and you obviously won't have time for more than a handful. So you need to tell us more about you before we can give useful suggestions.

Age? Interests? Where are you staying? just anything to help.

Start by clicking on DESTINATIONS above and it will give you some great ideas and suggested itineraries.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:32 AM

I am in London now at the end of 21 day trip in Europe from the US. I was impressed with London Walks tours... you don't have to reserve in advance, most tours are 2 hours long or you can do full day excursion by train with them too, and all the guides are experts in their field. No buses, just walking to see the sights in most cases and they get the tickets to get you in the side door without lines on some attractions like Westminster Abbey or Tower of London. We started with the "Royal London & Westminster Abbey" tour which I'd recommend. Also, did a day trip excursion to Avebury & Lacock to see small English village where Pride & Prejudice was filmed and also the largest stone henge site at Avebury (Richard, the guide, was excellent and it didn't feel too touristy). London Walks would also be excellent for you to do by yourself; whatever you feel like that day.

Today, we went to the Churchill Museum and War Room - excellent, allow 2 to 3 hours. There are excellent Museums here too (you might get the Rick Steve's London Guide book -- I like his walking tours of various museums so they aren't so overwhelming).
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM

When you've decided where you'll be staying, go to the TfL site and download a bus map from the stop nearest your lodging. This map will be posted at the stop, also.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses