COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

booked london hotel need more info on area

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

I booked my London hotel through priceline, I got the Hilton London Olympia on Kensington High Street. I just wanted a little more information on the area. I did a search here on the forums, but wanted to know are there a lot of places to eat within walking distance, are there things to do nearby?

I tried to look on mappy.com to see where the tube stations were, but for whatever reason it wouldn't show the tube or bus stops. So I'll try google for a map of the public transportation.

This is my first time going to London so any info will help and I'll keep looking at the boards here for useful info also.

Thanks,
M.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 03:50 AM

You'll find lots around there. Nice area. Go up Kensington Church St for some more shopping if you like antiques, etc. & also some restaurants & pubs.

http://tinyurl.com/yxuaz5
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:08 AM

Hi Sonja,

I have lived here for 12 yrs and High St Kensington is still one of my favourite spots in London. Everything you need (transport links, shops, restaurants/cafes etc) is right at your doorstep. However if you choose to eat elsewhere transport is very regular in London and everywhere is easy to get to. I wouldn't even worry about what you are worrying about. Its great position.

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:17 AM

I've no idea what mappy is.

But if you want a map of the tube stations and bus stops around a location in London, go to tfl.gov.uk. On the homepage, you'll find a journey planner at the top right hand corner.

Enter the details of where you want (usually the full postcode gives the most reliable answer). You'll then get a solution page which lets you choose to see a map. The map generated will show the centroid of the postcode you've selected (in central London, some postcodes are building or even floor-specific, but mostly they're about the size of 25 yd radius circles), and all the bus stops and tube stations around.

For details of where bus routes go to, play with the bus spider maps at the site's map section.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 04:50 AM

The nearest tube station is Olympia. That's on the district line to Earll's Ct but you'd be better off walking a bit further to west Kensington as the service is much better from there (Olympia is on a spur that gets a very erratic service).

The area is fine, although it's not Kensington! It is basically a bit sterile as it is dominated by the Olympia Exhibition hallls, and associated business class hotels etc. One of my favourite restaurants in the whole wide world is there - The Popeseye in Blythe Rd.

There's also a shop that sellls *interesting* rubber clothes. So something for everyone really. The Hand and Flower is a nice pub too.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:32 AM

I have stayed at the hotel several times, the latest was this past May. It is easier to travel around by bus, the bus stop (#9,10,28,49 and 328) is right in front of the building, to Hight Street Kensington Tube station is about 5-10 minutes walk.

Bus #9 is convenient for most tourist sites and theatres ( Tralfalgar Square). If you are coming from Heathrow, Piccadilly Line to Hammersmith, elevator up to street lever, about 5-10 minutes bus will drop you off at the hotel.

Holland Park nearby (5 minutes on foot)is lovely for morning walk, the rose garden, Kyoto Garden and other paths are nice in different seasons. For fresh and rarely seen fruits and sweets, they are two fruit stores about two blocks away, on the other side of street.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to say THANKS for the replies.

M.