Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Italy for Honeymoon in March of 2003;

Jun 18th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Stephanie

Hi. We're getting married on New Years Eve this year and waiting to honeymoon in March so we have better weather in Italy. Has anyone ever been to Italy in March? How is the weather.

In addition we've never been to Europe and are not experienced travelers, we'll be there 10 days and would like a nice relaxing feel of Italy, two-three locations. What would you reccomend?

Any help would be great.

Stephanie

Jun 18th, 2002, 08:47 AM
monique

I have no idea what the weather is like in March; it's probably cool, but warmer than in January. We honeymooned in Italy last August and I wouldn't call it relaxing! You might want to consider going somewhere else. If you're interested in the culture and history, you'll love it, and there will be minimal crowds at that time. If you can wait until March, why not wait even later until May? My parents were just there and the weather was gorgeous, 70-80 and sunny every day. April is probably nice, too, just not as warm.

If you only have 10 days, you should focus on one area. I'm going to recommend Rome and the Amalfi Coast. The Amalfi Coast was the most relaxing part of our trip. There's not much to do but enjoy the scenery (i.e. no museums, except in Naples and Pompeii).

Jun 18th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Alice Twain

As long as you stay south you can expect cool but nice weather, while north will probably be still in full winter. You will not be able to bathe, but if you stay in the south (Naples or, even better, Sicily) you will be able to wear a coat and feel warm.

Jun 18th, 2002, 10:37 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Stephanie, I have done Italy 3 times in late March/early April. It is not bad if you stay south. In only 10 days, you should do no more than 3 destinations. I would consider Rome, Positano, and Siena as my 3 locations. Try not to conflict with Easter for better prices. Expect average days of 48 to 62 for late March--higher at Amalfi coast.

Jun 18th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Sant

We visited Rome and Florence in March of 1994. The weather was quite pleasant, sunny and low 60s F. Walking around visiting different sites warms you up nicely. I agree that may would be better but March shouldn't be too bad if you can't wait. In March and given 10 days, I'd tour Rome and then head for the Amalfi Coast.

Jun 18th, 2002, 12:22 PM
mac

just got back from april honeymoon and amalfi coast was very relaxing at that point. scout out positano and ravello...you'd love both.

Jun 18th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Sherri Kardell

I was in Florence in April and it was freezing.I'm from California so maybe it would'nt be that cold to an East coast person but I was misserable. If you can wait it out til May I think you would be better off. I don't really see the point of going to the Amalfi Coast in March when it's freezing. I don't think you could go wrong in Venice it's great any time of the year. I wish you the best of luck ...in your marriage and you honeymmon.
Sherri Kardell

Jun 18th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Tricia

My husband and I were in Venice the first week of March last year. It was in the 50's with some days sunny, some days rainy and some days both. We still found it very romantic and it wasn't very busy plus the hotels were cheaper.

Aug 29th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Melissa

Are you a northerer also? I'm in MA.
We are also honeymooning in Italy.

We are inbetween a few tours.
I have a close friend who traveled Italy in Feb/March and loved it!

Are you planning it yourself or doing a tour?

Melissa
Hadley, MA

Aug 29th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Mike

In regards to the weather-great website is www.weatherunderground.com you can simply plug in any location in the world and pull up the ten years of weather for a certain date (i.e 10-29-95)

Aug 29th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Kay

Hi Stephanie,
we had 5 weeks in Italy this year from early March through to early April. Weather was much better than we had anticipated - cool but sunny most days, 3 days of a little rain in 5 weeks. Some days we were in t-shirts, at night we generally wore polar fleeces and scarves, occasionaly a thermal top. Great weather for walking.
I would suggest Rome, Santa Margherita Ligure and Venice, in that order. From SML you can visit the Cinque Terre area for great walks (an hour by train) and to finish in Venice would be pure magic - like the icing on the cake. Not sure of your budget, but if you can get a large room overlooking the Grand Canal at the budget Hotel Galleria in Venice, you will save money but be in a great position. Breakfast is served in your room and the private bathrooms are newish.
If you only want two locations, which would be more relaxing, Rome and Venice would be my choice.
The Amalfi coast is also worth visiting, but I would suggest staying in Sorrento and do day trips by bus to Amalfi, Ravello and Positano and a ferry trip to Capri.
Kay