Amalfi in March?

Search

Amalfi in March?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi in March?

We have talked about a trip driving the Amalfi coast and are contemplating going over our spring break. It is the last week of March. What kind of weather are we looking at? Also, is it reasonable to fly into Rome or Milan? I will begin researching this but would like some advice from the Fodor experts. Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I went to the amalfi coast the end of March a few years ago and the weather was warm (70's)and sunny during the day and cool at night (jacket weather). You should fly into Rome or Naples. Milan is too far away unless you intend to catch a budget flight from Milan to Naples.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had 6 days on the Amalfi coast in early March. Weather was mild and sunny most days, cooler in the evenings. We had some rain for a few hours one day. When we were out walking on the fine days we were in t-shirts, at night we wore polar fleeces outside. Rome is much closer to the Amalfi coast than Milan. You can catch a train from Rome to Naples (or fly) then another local train to Sorrento. Bus from there to the other small towns.
Kay
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 03:06 AM

While the Amalfi coast is dramatic and beautiful at all times, it is not at its best in March. It is not really quite spring there at that time. Generally temps will be in the high 40s F to low 50s F and rain is likely, as well as fog. Ferries to Capri and points along the coast run on a reduced schedule. If it is at all choppy, which can happen more in the winter and early spring, then the boats don't come into Positano at all, and/or you won't be able to get to Capri. Also, the flowers and trees are not in bloom. Finally, many of the better restaurants are closed or on a reduced schedule until April, although you may get lucky as you are there over Easter. You may however find hotel rooms no bargain at that time, as it is Easter. Reduced prices would be one reason for going in March, but you may not find lower prices in March 2005.

For historical average temps and rainfall, look at worldclimate.com and weatherbase.com. You could of course be lucky and have warm and sunny weather, but the odds are against you. I would save the coast for a time when you can really enjoy it. I was last there in May, and while the wisteria was out and gorgeous, it was quite cool, rainy and foggy.

On the other hand, March is great for Rome, Venice, Milan. Even Tuscany would be fine. The weather is the same as the Amalfi coast, but you aren't gong to Rome, Venice and Milan for the weather. Crowds should be much less, except perhaps in Rome as you would be there over Easter 2005. Florence is fine in March, and although the Tuscan countryside is not at its best as no flowers are trees are in bloom, you will find restaurants, etc open and the rain may not affect your sightseeing in the countryside so much as it would trying to see the coast from a choppy boat in the rain. . .
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I can add to the great weather stories of the Amalfi Coast in March. Not sure where the 40s to 50s weather can be found, as our week there was high 60s to mid to upper 70s some days (and almost 80 the day we went to Rome!). I'd highly recommend going in March, especially to see the Amalfi Coast drive with little traffic, the not nearly full ferries out to Capri (where we spent the day wandering in warm sunshine and sipping drinks out on terraces...no coat needed!!) I've heard horror stories about the AC during peak tourist time and was so happy we went in March! Do it!

Also, we flew into Milan, then to Naples. I thought the Milan transfer was a disaster because it was so disorganized and felt like a cattle herd, but we made it. Not sure if Rome would save you any time or hassle.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:08 PM
ira

Hi rb,

Why not fly into Naples?
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 02:25 PM

We were there for just a weekend a few years ago and had a very storm Saturday night and rainy Sunday, but loved it anyway.

A New Yorker we met in Sorrento, now living there, told us the locals call March the "crazy month" (or something like that) due to the unpredictable weather.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 02:52 PM

If you can fly into Naples, that would be the closest airport.

We were also there in March twice. Warm and sunny during the day and cool at night. Of ourse, March weather can be unpredictable, just as it is in many places.

If you want to see the coast, shop, meander through the towns and marvel at its beauty, March is a great time to go because there are no crowds and the roads are empty.

However, if you want to sunbathe and relax on a beach, that would not be the best place to go to.

Also note that some restaurants and some hotels do not open until sometime in April.