Going single to Paris

Search

Going single to Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going single to Paris

I am planning a trip to Paris in November. I am used to traveling alone,prefer it in fact, however I usually feel more at ease in an English speaking country. That's just my own fear. Anyway, I will arrive t the Gsre du Nord and want to stay in the 7th so my questions are:
1) good,cheap hotel(ensuite)
2) easy to get around? metro or on foot?
3) where to eat cheap
4) what to see (outside the city)
5) am I safe to be traveling there alone
6) should i buy a bus/metro pass
7) what's the weather in Nov?
Thanks
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 08:00 AM

I can only answer the metro questions - the metro is very easy to use and Paris is otherwise very walking-friendly.

You shouldn't have any problems being solo.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 08:02 AM
ira

Hi Luv,

Yes it is safe to travel alone in Paris. Remember, "no" is "non".

As for your other questions - try a text search. There is lots of stuff.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Luvsmacca, Cafe du Marche on Champs de Mars near rue Cler is cheap, good and popular (lots of one-dish meals, which means you don't have to spend a lot of time waiting for courses to appear). I think it might help if you would give a specific amount that you are willing to spend (in euros) for a hotel. Budget is such a relative term.

As for metro/bus pass, it depends on how many and what days you will be there. Again, be specific. And do ride the buses!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Skedaddle

1. Grand Leveque (my spelling is off)
2. 7th has plenty in district to entertain you, but you have to take metro or bus to go just about any place out of the district--no big deal
3. cheap eats on rue Cler
4. outside of city, see Versailles or Chartres for a day visit
5. safe as long as you don't flash cash, fumble with maps, or smile at strangers (this is a come-on in Paris)
6. yes, buy a metro pass, which is good for metro and bus. Get a carte orange, which is good Monday-Sunday of a week. Buy at metro station or tabac. Bring a 1" photo of your self to glue to pass.
7. Nov weather is sun, rain, cold, wind

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 03:24 PM

You'll find lots of good suggestions for cheap places to eat on this thread (assuming I figured out how to post the link correctly):

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...hText=trumilou
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:25 PM

I spent a month in Paris (2 weeks on my own) and found it very safe and easy to navigate. You don't say how long you'll be there but I got a month's pass for my time. If you're staying at least a week you might check out an apartment. I rented from rentparis.com, a studio right around the corner from rue Cler (they have weekly rates). My favorite day trip (by myself) was to Rouen. If you'd like my trip diary please e-mail me a [email protected]
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! The budget I would LIKE to stay at for a hotel is under 60E a night. I have found so many that my head is spinning and it's impossible for me to make a decision. I just want to be near things and in a safe area. I found one hotel in St Ouen but that appears to be far from the city center. Then there is Mary's Hotel but it's so cheap I am wary. I liked the Flor Rivoli(1st) and the DeTurenne(7th)but I just can't make a decision. Maybe I should just stay where I stayed 5 years ago but all I remember is being really near the Gare du Nord and thinking how far from it all I felt. Can anyone give me a hotel under 60E near things and in a good location?
I am feeling overwhelmed here! Thanks
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 11:44 AM
ira

Hi luv,

Try the Hotel Bonaparte. They might hve a single in your price range. It is very nice, in a safe, central district.

Phone: (0)1 43 26 97 37
fax : (0)1 46 33 57 67
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 02:53 PM

I stayed at the Turenne last summer. The price was certainly right and it had the added bonus of Air Conditioning which is a blessing when Paris is hot. Their single rooms really are singles, but inexpensive. They are single dorm room size. The place is clean and the staff friendly. If they have rooms, the Champ de Mars is a nicer place for about the same price and is right in the thick of Rue Cler. I wouldn't pick it in summer w/no A/C but you won't need to worry about that. Don't wait to make reservations for the Champs de Mars though, it stays full. Paris is an easy city for the single woman.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 03:04 PM

Would you consider raising your limit to 70 euros per night? That's the low-season rate for a single room, with private bath, at the Hotel du College de France (http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com/accueil-us.html). It's in the 5th (near everything in the Latin Quarter, but on a quiet side street, so there isn't a lot of street noise), the people who work there are friendly and most of them speak some English, and it even has an elevator (a small one, but nevertheless an elevator).

I didn't mention the College de France in my previous post because you had originally indicated that you wanted to stay in the 7th, but now that you seem to have expanded your search, I thought it was worth mentioning, because it meets most of your other requirements (apart from that extra 10 euros per night).
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 06:40 PM

If you are going for a week, you might want to consider an apartment. I found this one in the 5th. It is on the second floor, which is probably the third floor American (since it is a historic building, I'm sure there is no elevator). Also they don't give the address, so I would ask and check with us. But it seems to be pretty much within your budget:

http://www.vrbo.com/20279
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 06:58 PM

Also a lot of people like the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the Marais a lot. Check out this site: http://hotels.parishotels.com/hotel-...64&lang=en

You might look at eurocheapo.com for ideas.

http://www.eurocheapo.com/paris/