Globus tours

Oct 12th, 2000, 11:58 AM
Carrie

Globus tours

I was wondering if anyone has ever took a tour by Globus. I am thinking of doing a 9 day Greece tour with them. I would appreciate any advice on Globus or another tour company. Thanks.

Oct 12th, 2000, 05:05 PM
cash

Carrie,
I have taken a couple of Globus tours and they are an excellent first class tour company that has been in business for many years. Cosmos is their budget tour operation. Give them a try.

Oct 12th, 2000, 08:53 PM
Terry

My wife and I took back-to-back Globus tours in Greece in 1997. We first did a 5-day cruise to Mykonos, Santorini, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Crete, Patmos. It was well worth it, though the Olympic Cruise Lines ship was old and the food was just fair. The second week we did a land tour from Athens to Olympia, Delphi, etc. This was not so great due to the following: The Greek countryside was not very scenic and we spent a lot of time riding in the bus. The tour wasted a lot of time stopping at shopping places to get us to spend big money. The food is Greece is generally unappetizing and I was sick most of the trip. Though some historic sights were interesting, you get tired of seeing ruins that all start to look alike.
To sum up, I recommend taking one day in Athens to see the Acropolis and spending the remaining days visiting the Greek islands. Good luck, and keep in mind that outside of Athens, Greece is not much better than a third world nation in cleanliness and health standards.

Oct 12th, 2000, 09:42 PM
hmh

Re:Globus/Greece. Maybe the previous poster and we were on the same trip in '97, because I agree with some of the comments. We were, however, on a 7 day cruise that also went to Istanbul and Ephesus, plus the Greek Islands. Our ship was OLD, but we thought the food was good and the service was very good. We then took the land tour. I did not notice that we spent a lot of time in shopping areas--considering that I am an avid shopper. I actually bought many things in the gift shops at the hotels where we stayed. The trip is long on bus rides, tho, but we thought that doing it once was worth-while. We would not take the land tour again. But Athens was great and it is possible to take day trips out from Athens to some of the historic places. I found the food "interesting" and enjoyed the Greek salads. We remember the good things about most of the tours which we take, but no tour is perfect. We met some very nice people on the Greek trips and keep in touch with one couple via E-mail, hoping to eventually get together on another tour. In fact, this is true of several couples we have met on Globus tours. I'm sure the Trafalgar tour which has a similar Greece itinerary, would also be OK. There was a Trafalgar group on our ship. We have toured with Trafalgar also and are currently booking a Winter Break with them.

Oct 13th, 2000, 10:16 AM
tom

i have taken four trips all over europe with cosmos and enjoyed it alot. they are the budget tour of globus. i have a couple of suggestions: book extra days in the first city and last city with the tour company as it gives you more time in usually the larger cities. also if you like a wash cloth bring one. any questions please email me.

Oct 13th, 2000, 09:16 PM
Marsha

My husband and I are going on the Globus tour Italian Mosaic next week. We are from Toronto and are looking forward to this tour very much because it covers all of Italy. I was hoping Globus had a discussion board on its website, but unfortunately it does not and so I have been searching the web for people who have been on Globus. I will write again after my tour and I return home. Any tips you can give regarding optionals, or anything else regarding their tours, please write me back shortly. Thanks.

Oct 13th, 2000, 09:47 PM
gayle

From reports I think Globus should be fine but steer clear of Cosmos. We did a leisurley tour of Italy 16days last March and what meals were included were uneatable. All of the accommodation was in inconvenient positions (eg. 1 hour from the heart of Rome and not on the Island of Venice itself but in suburbia 1 hour by local bus away. The optional tours were not good value (except for the Rome by nights which was great and even the meal included was eatable if not memorable)This was the opinion of 3/4 of the participants of the tour. What Im really trying to say (after that vent!) is that it is worth paying the extra money... you get what you pay for - enjoy - Gayle

Oct 15th, 2000, 11:35 AM
Dianne

My Italy and Sicily trip with Cosmos was very good. However, two people on that tour had done Cosmos' Greece tour and said the hotels were pretty bad. I'm sure the Globus trip would be fine.

Oct 15th, 2000, 12:10 PM
Karen

We used Globus last year for Egypt and felt they were an excellent value for the money. Haven't been to Greece, so can help you there. Enjoy your trip.

Oct 15th, 2000, 12:16 PM
thissite

Well what do you know? Yet another tour commercial! Pretty unusual for a site which normally hosts independent travelers to all of a sudden have all these people wanting to know about tours. And guess what, there just seem to be plenty of posters to offer testimonials and provide web site addresses! Wow, how convenient!

Oct 15th, 2000, 12:43 PM
Happy

Hello thissite
Nothing better to do today than police the forums? Maybe you need a vacation!

Oct 15th, 2000, 08:15 PM
hmh

I was under the impresion that this site was to provide information to people who had not had the opportunity to do a lot of traveling, or who were looking for new places to visit. Not everyone who posts is an "independent" traveler and so it would be expected that people ask about various tour companies. I would not ever give a "testimoial" for any company on which I did not have first-hand information. I feel that this is true for most of the people who post on this site. It is pretty easy to determine who the "commercial travelers" are. I appreciate getting the names of web sites, which I can investigate myself and determine if I am interested in what they have to say. I also apprecitate the hints and advice that people have provided--several of which made a trip that I took to Holland (with another tour company) and England this spring more enjoyable. Thanks to everyone who makes this site a place that is usually very enjoyable to visit. (PS: I do not work for Fodor and am not a travel agent or involved in the travel industry in any way.)

Oct 17th, 2000, 11:37 PM
gayle

Someone cynical always pops up when you least expect them (or want them) In regards to myself, my husband and I took our first trip ever to Europe (from Australia) last March. We went for 7 weeks in total and we travelled independently (thanks to this Forum for a lot of the input) using Rail passes for 5 of those weeks through, Switzerland, UK Netherlands, Germany and Austria. We booked a 16 day COSMOS tour of Italy because I actually ran out of steam and time to do any more planning, and Italy had so many must sees and do's that I surrended. I for one wished I had asked this forum for input re COSMOS as we didnt think very highly of the tour as I stated earlier in this thread. So why dont you forget your snipping (anonomously I noted - is there a reason for this) and let people ask their questions without having to justify them selves to a nobody.