Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone know about the "sub-crypts" of Vatican's St. Paul's Cathedral?

Oct 16th, 2000, 10:56 AM
Christian

I read somewhere that the Vatican believes it has found the origninal crypt of St. Paul and that the excavation site of this "sub-crypt" can be toured if purchased ahead of time. Does anyone have any details of this, how to get tickets or provide feedback?

Oct 16th, 2000, 01:02 PM
Walter

It's St. Peter's and this site will get you there. www.twenj.com/romevatican.htm
Unfortunately the tour was canceled the day I had my reservation so I can't supply any details.
HTH Regards, Walter

Oct 16th, 2000, 03:15 PM
Cathy

Christian
I took the underground tour of St Peters and it was amazing especially when you enter the basillia from underground and see the amount of material that rests on the foundations and the excavations.

If it is possible then do take the tour - it is given by the professionals who are working on the site,

You need to prebook and give details of the language you want the tour in and the number of people etc, also give a few options for dates,

Have a great time

Cathy

Oct 17th, 2000, 11:24 PM
Gayle

Hi Christian, My husband and I took the Scarvi Tour in March this year and I cant emphasise enough that it's a "must do" We are Anglican not Catholic and it still blew us away. We were lucky because they will only book 10 /12 people each tour and when we arrived for our turn all the rest of our group were from one booking from the U.S and they didnt show. So we had 2 priests take the 2 of us down and give us the personal tour and it was amazing. You dont just walk through they give you the history of the Vatican. (did you know the huge tall column in front of StPauls (sorry for my ignorance, dont know what its called) was moved from the side of the Cathedral befor the new Cathedral was built? I dont know how they did it! You end up standing within 6 feet of where they (archeologists and theologists) have ascertained that St Paul is actually buried. You actually stand under the high temple in St Pauls and you walk on dirt pathways right next to archeologists who are working (still excavating). The cost is minimal I cant remember how much but only about 10US I think. You book directly and have to be able to tell them the name of the hotel or place you are staying during the time you wish to book and you can send the money or pay when you arrive. The email address for the Scarvi Office inside the Vatican is
[email protected] - enjoy - Gayle

Oct 17th, 2000, 11:51 PM
Gayle

Uh... Christian.. I think it's St Peters (not St Pauls) but I agreed with you in my answer in the last thread! - well I told you Im an Anglican, what's your excuse? Ha!Ha!- Gayle