Glasgow to Obam Train Tix - PIN rqd??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

hi - if I order train tickets from the US to pick up in Glasgow will the kiosk require a PIN for my credit card? The card has a chip but no PIN as far as I’m aware.
Old May 4th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry typo - Oban!
Old May 4th, 2018, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to be having a problem posting so may have a half dozen responses by the time I'm through.

You do not need a pin, simply plug in your credit card number ( the one you booked tickets with ) your confirmation number and that's it. Not sure what you mean by kiosk, you just use the ticket machines.
Old May 4th, 2018, 12:05 PM

That's what some people call ticket machines, I think (kiosques). It's called a TVM in Scotland (Ticket vending Machine).

The machine tells you to insert the card you used to buy the tickets, so don't think you just need to plug in a CC number. I haven't tried it but have been told CCs without PINs work. If not, you'd have to go to a manned ticket clerk place to get it. YOu can't collect them from machine at the airport and can't use an Amex in the machine.

this is from Scotrail
Which Debit/Credit cards can be used?
Old May 4th, 2018, 12:38 PM

As someone who has used these machines recently and on numerous occasions, I can absolutely attest to the fact that you do not need a pin. All rail tickets in UK purchased online can be accessed via ticket machines, but you need to determine when you purchase your ticket(s) where you will collect them and in this case assuming Glasgow. You do insert credit card, but it must be the same one which you purchase your ticket(s).
Old May 4th, 2018, 12:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
But not to worry -- twice I've purchased UK train tickets with credit cards that were subsequently cancelled/re-issued with new numbers/expiration dates. In both cases I merely went to a ticket window and the agent looked at my ID and printed my ticket.
Old May 4th, 2018, 01:01 PM

True but unless card has been cancelled or reissued, it's easiest to use the card with which you purchased tickets. I have often found that one can wait in line for some time if station is crowded, so if you do need to go to ticket window, plan ahead.
Old May 4th, 2018, 01:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My problem is I'm not organized enough and often don't know which credit card I used
Old May 4th, 2018, 01:53 PM

Oh, now that's something I can relate to. I used to keep all my transportation charges on one card and rest of my charges on another, but this year I'v been using both. May prove interesting once I get to the train stations to collect tickets..
Old May 4th, 2018, 03:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
May I ask when you are going?
We'll be in Oban at the end of the month.
Old May 5th, 2018, 06:22 AM

Gruezi

Just be sure to allow lots of time to pick up the tickets from the machines. A woman boarded our train and when the conductor came round, the former attempted to show her email confirmation on her phone as proof of purchase, explaining that the queues for picking up tickets at station were so long, she had to skip printing out the tickets or miss the train.

Conductor did not accept phone display of email confirmation as a ticket! ONLY printed out tickets will suffice. Choice offered to her by conductor was to buy another ticket from conductor, or disembark at next station and print out tickets and take next train. She took the latter option. Of course, if she bought 'advance' tickets - (the fare type, not the act of booking and paying in advance), this in effect meant her tickets were useless as advance (fare type) tickets are only for a specific train. 'Off peak' fare type tickets (purchased in advance or at the time) usually allow a range of train times.

As others have said, one is not asked for a PIN but the CC used to make the purchase must be inserted (I think this is a security measure to ensure people don't just steal your code somehow and print out the ticket for themselves.)