Glasgow Hotels

Jun 6th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Glasgow Hotels

We're planning our first trip to Scotland around the World Pipeband Champonship on August 13th in Glasgow. I've just started the research but was wondering if anyone could suggest where to stay in Glasgow that would be near Glasgow Green where the competition takes place....

It's been suggested that we fly in/out of London (non-stop from the states) and take the train to Glasgow. After the weekend in Glasgow we're thinking we'd rent a car for a week of touring....any suggestions?
Jun 6th, 2011, 09:17 AM
ron

I`d fly to Glasgow via London - a lot more convenient and faster than plane, public transport into central London and train. Probably cheaper, too. The time I did it, there was not extra cost at all.

I don't think there is any reason to try to stay near Glasgow Green. It's an easy walk from the city centre, where there's a wide choice of hotels, resarants, etc.

How many people are "we" and what is your budget?
Jun 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM

There are a couple of flights direct to Glasgow from the US, New York and Philadelphia, I think....if it's not a lot more expensive, it's much pleasanter making customs and passport control in Glasgow.
If you stay in Merchant City, you 'll be nicely placed for Glasgow Green and the city centre
Jun 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

We is 2...and budget negotiable.....roughing it would be a hotel with no cable or wifi....;-)
Jun 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM

After doing some research we decided an apartment would be best (38 Bath Street). Central location and cheaper than the decent hotels.