London & Scotland--1 week!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first post, so I hope it is in the correct place. I have read A LOT of great stuff from all you world travelers, so I thought you might be able to help with my 7-night itinerary for London and Scotland this November. I know this may not be an ideal travel month in terms of weather, however, airfares seem to be much cheaper and we wanted to go somewhere over the T-giving holiday. So...the plan is as follows:

1) Fly into London from States--stay 2 nights, area TBD (would appreciate suggestions on areas with lots of character)
2) Train to Inverness, stay 2 nights-while there see Isle of Skye
3) Train from Inverness to Edinburgh--stay 1 night
4) Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow--stay 2 nights, fly from Glasgow back home

My disclaimer is that I know this isn't nearly enough time to see all of the wonderful sights in London and Scotland. However, we like to keep moving and aren't too big on touristy stuff (i.e. museums, monuments, etc.), rather we enjoy experiencing the culture. We'd rather see a little of everything than a lot of nothing

I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Old May 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
a few quesions/comments:

Glasgow is a great city, but there is more for visitors in Edinburgh. I would allow more time for Edinburgh than for Glasgow.

No one can recommend where to stay in London w/o at least knowing your budet.

Are you taking the sleeper train to Inverness? if not, I would definitely fly instead.

But If the main point is to visit Skye - WHY are you going to Inverness at all? You can take the train to Mallaig and ferry to Skye and stay your two days right on the Isle.

I personally would do things differently w/ such a short trip. 2 days really isn't long enough to see much in London when the first day is likely very jet lagged. If it were me I'd consider skipping London altogether and spending the full week in Scotland. It still isn't very long but at least a bit less rushed.
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Consider taking the Sleeper train to Fort William then the local train to Mallaig - the views are unbelievable. Then you can take the ferry to Skye staying there rather than Inverness.

It's only 90 minutes or so from the centre of Edinburgh to Glasgow Airport so consider spending all your time in Edinburgh rather than Edinburgh & Glasgow.

But with only a week I'd skip London and fly into & out of Glasgow or Edinburgh then you can spend time in both
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM

I also prefer Edinburgh over Glasgow and think you should skip Glasgow this time, especially with such a short trip. I can't comment much on the other Scottish places. London is amazing and you could easily spend your whole week there, but I understand your desire to see other places. Because you are in London for such a short period of time, I'd recommend staying near the area you want to concentrate on to maximize your time.
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:04 PM

No offense, but I agree with the others in that 1 week is too short to try to see both London and Scotland. Plus with all the train traveling, you'll experience very little of the culture.

As it sounds like you're not big city fans, I'd advise you to fly in and out of Scotland and save London for another trip.
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:05 PM

For London try the Marriott County Hall or the Premier Travel Inn County Hall - they are both just over the river from the River Thames
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:05 PM

they are both just over the river from the River Thames - from Big Ben
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Hi, Sessa...

I pretty much agree with what the others have said, but it's hard to give more advice, not knowing your real priorities. Obviously, you want to see lots, but your schedule, as it stands, is ambitious, to put it mildly!

My advice would be:

1. Spend the entire time in Scotland (Edinburgh, Skye, Glasgow).

OR

2. Spend 4 days in London, 2 nights in Edinburgh and your last night in Glasgow.

OR

3. Spend 4 days in London, then take the train to York, spend the day there, then continue on to Edinburgh for 2 nights, then to Glasgow for your last night.

Mind you, this will only whet your appetite, but at least it's a little less rushed, IMO.

Bon voyage!
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. We knew it was a pretty ambitious itinerary for only a week. I think we will go with what the majority said and spend the entire time in Scotland.

Is Inverness worth the trip at all, or should we focus on Skye instead?

Also, what are your opinions on train versus renting a car?

Thanks again!
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Trains are good - but a car will give you a lot more flexibility. Your choice.

Inverness itself is not that great. It is the major commercial center for Northern Scotland. There is a lot to see in the surrounding area - but I'ness itself isn't that much.

Have you already bought your air tickets? If so, I would fly into London and book another flight immediately up to Edinburgh. Stay 2 days or maybe 3 w/o a car. Then pick up a rental car and head west through the Trossachs (one night), then through Glencoe and on to Skye (2 or 3 nights). Then drive back to GLA for the last night before flying home.

If you haven't bought your tix yet I'd do an open jaw in to EDI and out of GLA and follow the same itinerary.

Old May 8th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

We have not yet bought our tix. Interestingly, it is cheaper for us to fly into London and out of Glasgow than round trip to Glasgow which is why we originally considered staying in London for a couple of days. I like your suggested itinerary...many thanks!