10-day trip in Scotland Early June 2018

Mar 12th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

10-day trip in Scotland Early June 2018

Hi, I am planning a trip to Scotland in less than 3 months and would really appreciate thoughts or guidance on the venues, routes and accommodations. Looking forward to visit the beautiful scenery, countryside, possibly light hiking to explore the nature, history and the towns.
I have gathered some ideas from previous posts and this is the tentative plan. I am unsure if it's too short to spend 2 days at each place. I would prefer to spend less time traveling and more time exploring the place. Open to ideas!
Should I rent a car from Edinburgh city on the second day sand start driving from there?

Day 1: London to Edinburgh
Day 2: Edinburgh
Day 3: Callander ( Doune and Stirling castles, Inchmahome Priory)
Day 4: Callander
Day 5: Glencoe
Day 6: Isle of Skye (Fairys pool, Talisker Distillery
Day 7: Isle of Skye ( Bla Bheinn hiking trail)
Day 8: Mull
Day 9: Mull
Day 10: Return to Edinburgh
Day 11: Return to London

Thank you!
Sharon
Mar 12th, 2018, 06:31 PM

All are terrific places -- but IMO/IME a little too much in essentially 9 days. Especially splitting the Edinburgh bits into two different stays.

If it was me - to keep all of the same stops -- I'd travel from London to Glasgow instead of Edinburgh. Do Mull first. Then Skye, the Trossachs, and finish up wit Edinburgh. This eliminates the extra stay in Edinburgh and frees up a full day.

It would look something like this:

Day 1: London to Glasgow (either train or fly). Pick up car at GLA and drive to Oban - take ferry to Mull.
Day 2: Mull
Day 3: Mull
Day 4: Skye
Day 5: Skye
Day 6: Skye
Day 7: Callander (visit Glencoe en route)
Day 8: Callander. (Doune/Inchmahome)
Day 9: drive Callander to Edinburgh (visit Stirling Castle in the morning en route) turn in car at EDI
Day 10: Edinburgh

In no case do you want to drive in central Edinburgh.
Mar 13th, 2018, 02:41 PM

Why fly return to London and not at least open jaw - into London and out of Edinburgh or v.v.?

Anway London to Edinburgh would be best, if starting from London, by train in about 4.5 hours. (Could easier fly from London airport to Scotland day of arrival but) - book trains way early to get nifty discounted tickets - even first class can be very cheap at times and if so go for it as first class on UK trains a world of difference on that East Coast Line- National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables to easily book your own tickets - there is also an overnight Caledonian Sleeper train (ex Sat nights I think) you could take one way or both. www.scotrail.co.uk with similarly cheap tickets if book far enough in advance. www.seat61.com has loads of advice on booking own train tickets - general info also BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Mar 13th, 2018, 04:29 PM

>>Why fly return to London and not at least open jaw - into London and out of Edinburgh or v.v.?<<

One would think the OP has her reasons - either already booked flights in/out of London or has other plans in London or elsewhere.

>>Anway London to Edinburgh would be best,<<

NOT necessarily. Depends on a LOT of variables.

>>if starting from London, by train in about 4.5 hours.<<. Which is almost exactly the same time it takes to get to Glasgow. So just why is Edinburgh the only option????
Mar 13th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi Janisj, thank you for your suggestions! The suggested itinerary is as shown below.

Day 1: London to Glasgow (either train or fly). Pick up car at GLA and drive to Oban - take ferry to Mull.
Day 2: Mull (book day tour to visit caves and puffins)
Day 3: Mull (Tobermory)
Day 4: Skye
Day 5: Skye
Day 6: Skye
Day 7: Callander (visit Glencoe en route)
Day 8: Callander. (Doune/Inchmahome) and Bracklinn Falls Bridge
Day 9: drive Callander to Edinburgh (visit Stirling Castle in the morning en route) turn in car at EDI
Day 10: Edinburgh

I was thinking of booking for a day trip to visit the caves and spot the puffins at Mull. What type of activities would you recommend for the next day at Mull? I was also thinking of doing light hiking. Would you recommend any suitable ones?

I would like to visit Neist point, Fairy Glen, Quiraing, Lock Coruisk, The old man of Storr, Fairy pools, Kilt rock and Talisker Distillery. Given that I have 3 days at Skye, will it be too rush to explore so many places and how would you recommend that trip sequence?

In addition, are there any specific accommodations which you would recommend at Mull, Skye and Callander? I understand that given that June is a peak period, most of the accommodations may be booked out.

Dear PalenQ, than you for all the wonderful transport suggestions. I will definitely look them up. I am flying from and out of London because I am based in London. =)

Many thanks for all your advice!
Mar 13th, 2018, 05:34 PM

>>I was thinking of booking for a day trip to visit the caves and spot the puffins at Mull. What type of activities would you recommend for the next day at Mull? I was also thinking of doing light hiking. Would you recommend any suitable ones?<<

I'd consider staying in Fionnphort or even on Iona instead of Tobermory (though Tobermory is fine too). You can take the foot ferry to Iona and walk all over the island. There are boats that leave from Fionnphort to Staffa/Fingall's Cave and wild life viewing. Here is just one but there are others. Boat Tours From Fionnphort and Iona | Staffa Tours

>>I would like to visit Neist point, Fairy Glen, Quiraing, Lock Coruisk, The old man of Storr, Fairy pools, Kilt rock and Talisker Distillery. Given that I have 3 days at Skye, will it be too rush to explore so many places and how would you recommend that trip sequence?<<

No worry about a specific sequence. Sort of play it by the weather. If you are planning a hike -- hope for the best and if the weather cooperates one day -- do your hiking then.

Fairy Glen (not to be confused w/ the Fairy Pools which are a different site on Skye), The Old Man, Kilt Rock and the Quiraing are all on the Trotternish Peninsula so are basically on the same loop drive. Then Talisker/Neist Point and Dunvegan are another grouping that works together. If you go to the Fairy Pools (highly recommended) go out to the end of the road through Glenbrittle and the beach. Loch Coruisk is the outlier.

Try seaview in Fionnphort -- but it is VERY popular and may be booked up. bed and breakfast Isle of Mull,Seaview B and B accommodation,near,Iona

Callander has a lot of B&Bs - what is your budget?

Skye may be a problem because it is insanely popular -- Try Sligachan first. Sligachan Hotel It is the very best location on the island for convenient touring. If it is full -- just take anything you can find in Portree.
Mar 13th, 2018, 06:38 PM

For Mull, definitely a trip out to Iona to visit the abbey which is very rich in Celtic history, also the ruins of the Augustinian nunnery. I enjoy staying on Iona. There are a number of wonderful walks in the island. For Iona, I like the St. Columba Hotel which has a very good restaurant too. Duart Castle is worth visit if you have time.

janisj has touring Skye well mapped out with the circular route, and I agree you need to book Skye ASAP.
Mar 14th, 2018, 10:14 PM

I like the last version of your Itinerary! We were in Scotland last summer and visited many of the same places, though moved much faster. Our route was Edinburgh-Callander-Glenfinnan-Mull-Oban-Glasgow-London in 10 days.
In Callander, check out Abbotsford Lodge. We very much liked it. Doune Castle was one of my favorites and worth a stop.
In Fionnphort on Mull, we loved Caol Ithe Guesthouse ( Guesthouse B&B | Holiday Cottages, Fionnphort Isle of Mull ). Excellent breakfast. The only drawback of staying in Fionnphort was that the meal we had in the local pub (pretty much the only place to eat there) was the worst of the trip. Don't miss the boat trip to Staffa Island and walking around Iona.
Mar 15th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi Janisj

Thanks for all the recommendations! indeed B&B Isle of Mull Seaview is very popular and they are booked out on the days which I wanted.

I will look up the recommendations on the tours and accommodations and to also definitely plan according to the weather.

Thank you so much!
Mar 15th, 2018, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations!! The itinerary was suggested by janisj! =)

Search this Thread