Glasgow/Edingburgh - worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in Germany and have a holiday weekend coming up in a month. I just found dirt cheap rates for our family of four (children ages 2 and 3) to fly into Glasgow-Prestwick in Scotland. My husband golfed in Scotland last year but made no time to see the sites. In your opinion, is this region worth a visit or a total waste of time/money?
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:37 PM

prestwick airport has a direct rail link to glasgow city centre(1/2 hour)and from there it is about 45 mins to edinburgh on train.you could be based in glasgow & see edinburgh, loch lomond etc easily.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:40 PM

edinburgh yes, glascow no.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM

haven't been to Glasgow, but I absolutely fell in love with Edinburgh!!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Glasgow and Edinburgh are definitely worth a visit. Either city could keep you busy for several days, and if you can arrange transport there are some wonderful places round about as well. If you don't go home thinking the holiday wekend was too short I'll be disappointed.
OK I'm biased, having spent five happy years in Glasgow, but I still like Edinburgh as well!
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:53 PM

"is this region worth a visit or a total waste of time/money?" Don't want to be mean but - Are you serious???

OF COURSE it is worth a trip! But where to go entirely depends on what sorts of things you enjoy. There are many, MANY threads on here about Scotland. Look over a few of them and get a semi-idea of what sounds interesting to you and then we can help you narrow down what to do/where to go.

You could spend the entire time in Edinburgh, but maybe you want countryside, or castle hunting, an island visit, or scenic train rides, or, or, or . . . . . .
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:10 PM

oh, for sure. Even if you never leave Ayrshire.....
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 04:00 PM

I have visited both and considered each to be worth my time and money.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Although Edinburgh is a favorite,I'm not sure why so many like to diss Glasgow. It's certainly worthy of a visit. In fact one of the best museums anywhere is the Burrell.

Any amount of time spent and any place visited in Scotland is well worth one's time and money.You can't go wrong!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Last month I visited Glasgow, Edinburgh and portions of the rest of the country. Loved it, but wished my schedule hadn't required spending as much time in Glasgow.

Keith
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 10:54 AM

While both Glasgow and Edinburg would be easy to reach from Prestwick, with your young children you may wish to consider avoiding Glasgow and Edinburgh and stay in the Prestwick area.
Prestwick itself is a small seaside resort and there are several others,north and south, within an hour's drive. They are mainly beach type towns and in summer would have typical beach activities. In September/October weather, beach walking/searching for shells etc, rather than sandcastles or swimming, would be more practical. Ayr is a larger town with more traditional shopping readily available; Troon and Turnberry would offer golf and very elegant hotels if that attracts you. Culzean castle might be a reasonable place for your family to viist.
The west coast border country (Dumfries) is good for hill walking. You could also easily drive from Prestwick (look for M8 signs to Greenock)travelling over the Erskine Bridge to Loch Lomond and the Callendar/Trossachs area.