Reload this Page >

Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Search

Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Jo-Ann

Edinburgh or Glasgow?

I'm going to Scotland next month. I have only 2 days for Scotland. Should I go to Edinburgh or Glasgow? Any suggestions on accommodations?

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:23 AM
bob

What you are interested in depends on your choice, but I say go to Edinburgh, and in two days you can see and get a flavor for the city and area.

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Sheila

Unless your main purpose is shopping or an interest in Art Noveau, make it Edinburgh

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Kim

My fiance is from Glasgow and we traveled through Scotland. Obviously, Glasgow is where his entire family is from, that is why we enjoyed it there. However, Edinburgh blows away Glasgow when it comes to restaurants, shops, the Castle, etc. Just don't tell my fiance I said that!

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Mel

Edinburgh!

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Mel

Just re-read and realized you're looking for accomodations. We always stay at the Dunedin Guest House--lovely people with a lovely inn who are now friends. Web site is www.dunedinguesthouse.uk.co.<BR>

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Mel

WHOOPS! My fingers don't work today! the Dunedin's Web site address is wrong in the post above. It's<BR>www.dunedinguesthouse.co.uk

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Tony Hughes

My suggestion woul dbe to do some investigation. We don't know you or your preferences - you do.<BR><BR>I prefer Edinburgh but who says you will?

Old May 12th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Micki

There is no comparison - It's Edinburgh hands down.

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:07 PM
jeff

I wote for Edinburgh. The city is one of my favorite european capitals. Make sure to visit the castle and Holyrood House.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:00 PM
Pat

I vote for Edinburgh too! We were there just last July and it was beautiful! Have a great trip.

Old May 14th, 2002, 01:35 AM
jdella

Edinburgh is so easy to navigate and has so much to offer, I prefer it no question. The people are so friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the castles and the mall. Grocery stores have the cheapest food a la carte. If you get homesick, Pizza Hut is handy!

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Scotsman

As a citizen of Scotland, who lives halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh, I hope that I can give some unbiased but nevertheless well-informed advice.<BR><BR>If it's impressive, picturesque, historically significant architecture you're interested in, then Edinburgh is the place – no contest. It also offers tourists more in the way of the stereotypical Scottish culture: bagpipes, tartan, castles - which is fine, but I think that most Scots would agree - it has very little relevance in modern Scotland.<BR><BR>If, on the other hand, you're interested in experiencing a bit of modern, metropolitan Scottish culture, get yourself into Glasgow. Glasgow is generally accepted in Scotland as THE shopping centre - Buchanan Galleries, Buchanan Street, Princes Square and Braehead Shopping Centre being some of the finest examples. It's also the place to go if you are interested in Scotland's recent industrial history, Glasgow’s various museums and art galleries offer an insight into that era. Glasgow has the most vibrant club scene of any Scottish city - so if you're young and like to boogie, it won't disappoint. It also has a wide selection of fine pubs and restaurants, as does Edinburgh.<BR><BR>Glasgow people are, by and large, amongst the most friendly in Scotland. I was bemused by one reviewer’s comment, who talked about the ‘friendly Edinburgh people’. I don’t want to go over the top here, but anyone who finds Edinburgh people friendly must be accustomed to hostility on a scale I can barely imagine. Then again, perhaps it’s just me – I have witnessed Edinburgh people being notably hospitable towards tourists from abroad, but this hospitality is rarely extended to their fellow countrymen…<BR><BR>In recent years, Glasgow has contributed considerably to the British music scene - Simple Minds, Wet Wet Wet and Travis being some of the more successful acts (although we shouldn't discount Edinburgh's contribution to rock - the ‘Bay City Rollers’). Glasgow is also famous for its comics - producing world class talent such as Billy Connolly amongst other, perhaps lesser known local heroes. These past and present achievements all contribute to a city which is always willing and able to entertain.<BR><BR>Anyway, whichever you choose – I hope you enjoy your stay in Scotland.<BR>

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Barbara

That last posting doesn't sound so unbiased as it claims to be so I have to get my sleeves rolled up here.<BR><BR>As someone who grew up in both Edinburgh and Glasgow and has now lived abroad for a number of years, the rivalry between them continues to baffle me. <BR><BR>Edinburgh has a lot to offer as part of modern Scotland - not least the new Scottish parliament... <BR><BR>Also, Edinburgh people *are* just as friendly. Glasgow might not be so friendly if you are Irish due to its firmly embedded sectarianism. <BR><BR>I do firmly agree that Glasgow *is* a great city too. To compare them negatively really misses the point that they are very different and just have different things to offer.

Old May 15th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Gail

Matt Lauer, on the Today Show, today compared Edinburgh to SF and Boston, while Glasgow was like Chicago and NYC. It was part of his "Where in the world" segments.