Glacier Express

Apr 14th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Glacier Express

We plan to take the Glacier Express from Zermatt during a 2 week visit this May. Should we make sure and go all the way to St Moritz or does a round-trip between Zermatt & Chur catch most of the highlights. I've heard the train trip is spectacular, but don't know if the narrow gage to St Moritz is 'not to miss' after 5 hours of the other. I feel we'd probably enjoy exploring Chur in the evening, than St Moritz.
thank you

I have been to Switzerland many times, seen most everything in the center and east, but never made it to Chur/St Moritz. The friend I'm travelling with has never been to Switzerland. Other stops include Lake Geneva area, the Emmental Valley, Berner Oberland, Zermatt, Aiguille du Midi.
thanks
Apr 14th, 2003, 01:50 PM

Paperboy,

IMO, do the whole route. We did it from East to West and stayed the night in St. Moritz. If you would like to see it before you go, pick up a video called "Travel the World by Train: Europe 1,2,3". On one of those they do the whole route. It is one of the better videos I have seem for giving a good sense of train travel. Have a great trip.

Greg
Apr 14th, 2003, 09:04 PM

Beside the part from Andermatt to Sedrun (Oberalppass) the part from Chur (e.g. Tiefencastel) to St. Moritz is the most spectacular one. Do it all.
Apr 17th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for both of your replies. Definitely don't want to miss the best part. And it sounds like having a round trip (vs one way) from/to Zermatt may work to our advantage instead of wondering if we're going to 'waste a day' backtracking . . . .
thanks again, Rich
Apr 18th, 2003, 05:12 PM

Good evening, paperboynch
Twice we had been coming up from IT via
Tirano and over the Bernina Pass, overnites in St. Moritz and take the
full Glacier Express from St. Moritz
to at least Brig or shorten a little
bit to Anermatt, but no shorter, you
will miss some of the best views of the
ride.... Richard of LaGrange Park, IL.
Just a reminder that reservations are
required for the dining car which is
attached at Disentis?
Apr 19th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Bootman4U

I've done the Glacier Express twice and I would do the entire route..although as much of a train buff as I am I wouldn't do it back and forth..there are other routes you could take. Actually, if you are unable to make a dining car reservation you may be able to do so once there..but what you really MUST do when you make your seat reservation is be CERTAIN your seat is in one of the Panorama coaches..they have much larger windows for viewing the scenery as well as recorded sightseeing tips and some of the daily Glacier Express trains carry BOTH Panorama and other more usual coaches. Forget Chur...St. Moritz, if you take the gondola to the top of the mountains, etc., I think you'll find much more spectacular and interesting.