Tirano to St Moritz

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tirano to St Moritz

Asking for your opinons. We will be in Tirano the end of May and taking the Bernina Express for a day trip to St. Moritz OR to Chur. If St Moritz we can get back in the same day but only have 3 hours in St. Moritz. Or do you reccommend spending the night. THE other choice is to go all the way to Chur. Seeking anyone's help. Is St Moritz enough or is Chur worth the extra time and money. THANKS
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:14 AM

ttt
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM

On a beautiful day, stay in a neighboring town by St. Moritz. On a rainy day, stay in Chur.

Personally, I'd stay the night in Pontresina or Celerina. St. Moritz area is beautiful but St. Moritz itself is an architectural nightmare.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Or do it as a day trip from Tirano and forget about St Moritz, rather blah IMO

and just take the train up to the summit near Bernina Ospiz and Alp Grum stations, where you can walk around the glacier lake and to the awesome glacier here - walk the mile or so between stations and then descend back to Tirano

you'll have no luggage to deal with and see the highlight of the Bernina train route - the pass
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks..for the input. I think we are leaning towards the day trip but cant pass up the chance for quick jaunt into the alps.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:23 PM

Some of the local trains on the Bernina Pass route have open-air cars - just platforms with rails and seats

I rode in these once and it was a thrill - much more so than in the domed observation cars on the official Bernina Express that runs the same route
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM

We are planning a similar trip from Tirano to St. Moritz in mid September. Should we just do the up and back with only a 30 minute layover in St. Moritz, or spend four hours in the town? From what I've read St. Moritz is no real great town, and the experience is the train trip up and back. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM

St. Moritz reminded me of a pour concrete movie set after filming was over for the day. The overall surroundings are great but the town seems pretty cold.

Frankly, the Bernina Express trip Tirano-Chur and vice versa is one of the best "scenic rail" trips in switz erland IMo, whether you take the exposed or the enclosed cars...might be a bit of stretch to go up and back along the exact same route unless perhaps you sit on the opposite side from your inbound trip.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Thanks Dukey. I think we'll opt for the 30 minute stayover in St. Moritz rather than killing an entire afternoon there. Good idea about sitting on opposite sides of the car. We need to be back in Varenna by nighttime.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM

I have gone into some detail on the fantastic Bernina Pass rail route in a thread i am working on and several others added a lot of great info - esp about the open-air platform cars that to me were tremendous - no need to move from side to side and the ultimate Observation car IMO

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-nutshell.cfm#
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM

We took the Bernina Express trip from Chur to Tirano and back a few years ago.

We spent two nights in Chur. We thoroughly enjoyed Chur and the train trip was wonderful!

Have a great trip.

Byrd