Notices

Giving Credit Card # via Fax to Hotel

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giving Credit Card # via Fax to Hotel

I'm trying to make a reservation for one night in Naples (Albergo Sansevero, thanks Ira). They want me to fax my credit card # along with a reservation form. I'm not really comfortable sending my credit card # by fax. I've tried calling the tel# on the sheet and there's never an answer. I'm getting down to the wire as I'm leaving for Rome on Friday and need a room in Naples on Monday.

Am I just being paranoid?
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Good morning .Mizz Eve
Have used fax for sending credit card
numbers on hotel reservatiion manh times
in past years. normally make inquiry and
other correspondence by e mail and then
when all is well, send them the CCno.
via fax requesting final confirmation.
Most cards have very goo dprotection for the misuse of cards if that should
occur....Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:28 AM
GAC

It's not uncommon to secure a hotel reservation with a credit card number sent by fax, particularly if you arrive in the late afternoon or evening. Just be SURE to obtain a written confirmation from the hotel of the reservation (usually written on the faxed reservation request letter itself).
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Stop worrying. I have done it countless times (and sent it by email also). Should there ever be an unauthorized charge as a result on your credit card (I've never had any in literally hundreds of such transactions) then it will cost you the inconvenience of making a call to the credit card company and explaining it was unauthorized. End of problem. There is total protection of your credit cards.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:59 AM
ira

Hi MizzEve,

Faxing your CC number is just as safe as giving it to them over the telephone.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 09:42 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think MizzEve might have been saying that because she hasn't been able to reach them by phone, maybe the fax number could be incorrect and get in the wrong hands. If that's so, just keep an eye on the statement. You can look up on the internet to check your statement. Then contact your cc company immediately. As far as safeness on the fax, it isn't like the internet where it can easily be read by someone else.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Intrepid

Well, just how HAS MizzEve been communicating with these folks if the phone doesn't work? Usually sending a CC# via e-mail is not a problem and with the fraud restrictions imposed by the bankcard issuer I wouldn't think sending the number by fax is any less "safe." I'd be sure to get a written confirmation of the reservation no matter how I communicated the CC#. They've got the room so I guess they get to call the shots in this case or the alternative is to look elsewhere.

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 10:58 AM
ira

Hi ann,

Actually, the probability that someone will steal your CC no. from the internet is miniscule, especially if you send the info in two emails.

It is more likely to be stolen by someone at the receiving end.

Also keep in mind that in the US you are liable for no more than $50 on your credit card, even if it is your fault.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:11 AM

Good Lord folks, we can do much better than this.

An e-mailed CC# is not recognized as legal confirmation of use. You are required to supply the information on a piece of actual paper with your signature. The number with your signature and instructions gives the hotel the authorization to charge your card for any deposit fee or any charges which are due when not adhering to their cancellation policy.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:15 AM

NYC that's not 100% true for all hotels-not even in Italy.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:25 AM

Is anything ever 100% true in Europe? Sure, there are some hotels that will risk it but I believe they lose if there's ever a legal dispute over the card charges. Some hotels don't ask for passports. What can I say? It's safer for MizzEve to do the legally appropriate thing.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:32 AM

I would strongly recommend not sending credit card details via e-mail. The potential difficulty is not that someone might intercept the message, but that it will sit on the receiver's computer for months and anyone can review it with a simply mouse click. I try to handle as much of the hotel-related correspondance by e-mail as possible, but when it is time to send the card number, I FAX.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 12:45 PM

NYCFoodSnob, I have no idea what you are saying. I have given my credit card number dozens of times for prepayment (not just for guarantee) for rooms and apartments in Italy as well as other countries and have had the amount promptly charged to my credit card without any signature at all. In some cases, I arrived at the hotel and never signed any credit card slip -- it was already charged.

Just today after a Rome apt. asked me for a wire transfer to their bank account, I asked if there was an alternative. They emailed me back saying I could provide my credit card number and expiration date for the one-third deposit. Five hours later I looked at my credit card statement online and that charge was already recorded on my account!
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:17 PM

What about providing your CC# over the phone, for catalog orders, hotel deposits, etc? In these instances, there is also no paper, and no signature. You are verbally authorizing the charge. I don't see how an e-mail is any different.

I have given my CC info by phone, fax, on a secure site, and via e-mail many times, and have yet to experience any problems.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:25 PM

Back a number of years ago when I had a retail business, I was first only authorized to take signed and actually imprinted credit card receipts. As more and more people ordered things long distance it was an easy change for me to fill out a form with the bank which allowed us to take telephone or verbal orders without a signature. Not sure if the same rules apply in Europe.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Dear Patrick,

I admit, I have no definitive answer on this one because I haven't dug deep enough to get to its foundation and I hate banks. I deduced it was always a bank issue and different banks have different rules. In over two decades of travel to France and Italy, particularly Italy and mostly boutique hotels, 99% of the time I was required to fax the CC#, instructions for authorization (a simple sentence explaining what you want the hotel to do with your card), and then sign it as you would ending a letter. Everytime I asked the hotel if I could just e-mail the CC# with instructions they said no. When I asked why not, I had been told time and again a signature is required with instructions to legally protect both parties in case of a charge dispute. Yes, I spoke either French or Italian.

My understanding regarding over the phone retail sales is that the rules are different. In order to get a definitive answer on this subject, one would have to interview every legal department of every bank. I decided to pass and sent the fax.

On the subject of paranoia...I, too, resisted using a CC on the net in the very beginning. Then, after several years of research on this subject and a few slaps in my face from attorney friends, I don't hesitate to charge anything on an encrypted site, which most are if they're legit. I know hundreds of people and business' that work in E-commerce and I've never heard one theft tale. I also know three people who have had their identitiy stolen but not from the net. I think the smartest suggestion that was ever given to me was to have a designated card specifically for purchases on the net. My net card has a $4000 limit and serves me perfectly and I've been charging away on my computer for the last six years with no problems.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:36 AM

The number of your credit card is printed on the signature strip on the back along with an extra three numbers. I find it interesting that more companies (most recently SNCF) are asking for that code when you order on line. At least it is a guarantee that the actual card is in your possession.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:00 AM

I've been doing online shopping and banking since I got internet service, and I've never thought twice about using my credit card online.

I don't see using my account online as any different than giving my credit card to a waiter in a restaurant. Who's to say he won't give my account number to the enitre kitchen staff?

I do, however, always make sure that I'm on a secure sight before entering any account info, and I don't send my account info by email.