Hostel vs. Hotel

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hostel vs. Hotel

Can someone explain what is meant by a hostel vs. hotel? I always thought hostel meant one of those place mostly young and backpackers stayed in with dorms. bathrooms down the hall. Been researching accomendations on Ibiza and gosh places called hostels sound like hotels to me?
A couple sound really nice.
Thanks,
Lisa
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:28 PM
jor

Lisa,
You are pretty much right about what a traditional hostel is. What do the hostels on Ibiza advertise that makes them sound different?
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:12 PM

In Spanish there is a word "hostal" which is similar to a pension or a guesthouse.

Although you are generally right about what a "hostel" is, my son and I stayed in hostels in Scandinavia where we had a private room and private bath. In Oslo, our room included a kitchenette with a fridge and stove.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Hostal La Marina in Ibiza town in the Longely Planet book and I found them on a hotel website. Another is hostal Mar Blau, i.e. stylish good value accommodations overlook the harbour wrought iron beds, mirros, a/c satellite TV. Hostal Parque quality mid range hotel in superb quiet plaza location. Tastefully decorated, spotless rooms line bedspreads. This a a combination of the writeups on these 3 hostels/hotels.
Lisa
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Excuse me, the book is The Mini Rough Guide to Ibiza and Formentera.
lisa
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 05:17 AM

I've stayed at a number of hostales in Spain. The main difference between an hostal in Spain and a hotel is that a hostal does *not* have a restaurant, even for breakfast. A two-star hotel will have more facilities than a two-star hostal. I've always had a small, private bathroom, and sometimes even a TV. Hostals are like two-star hotels - some are nicer than others, some are great value, some are dumpy. They are not "youth hostels" like you find in the rest of Europe. And I did stay at youth hostels that had double rooms, triple rooms, etc. instead of dorms.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 06:00 AM

I've stayed in Hostal La Marina in Ibiza three times over the years - the last time was in December 2002. The rooms are small but comfortable with bathrooms, tv, etc, and most have a sea view. As others have said, "hostal" is a Spanish word for a type of hotel. If you have the Rough Guide to Spain, it has an explanation of the different Spanish words for hotels as does any other decent guide book and a phrase book like Berlitz. A guide, map, phrase book and pocket dictionary are, in my opinion, essential purchases before planning a visit to another country.