Giving credit card details to Hotels for reservation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2015, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is, most hotels need Credit Card details for booking a room. Although they say that they will not charge, untill arrival. Is it ok to share these details

Also, if we share the CC details, then is it ok to share by email
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 02:16 AM

You will not be able to book the hotel without giving them CC details. I have always done this by mail, and have not had a problem. Alternative would be to call them and read out your CC details, but that might not be practical.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 03:17 AM

If you are concerned about email, send partial info in two separate emails, using two different email addresses if you have them. Your credit card company is likely responsible if there is any fraudulent use. Alway wise to keep a close eye on your credit card balance online, and alert them immediately if there is anything suspicious.

The real danger is in using Western Union or bank transfer to someone you do not know, as this is where the scam artists can take your money for accommodation that does not actually exist.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 05:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You are at no risk with the hotel, which is not going anywhere with your money. The only risk is if your computer connection is hacked in the process, which is really quite unlikely.

If you don't trust your email, send the details by fax.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 05:19 AM

You need to provide a CC if you want your hotel reservation to be guaranteed. Providing it by email is not recommended and sending info by two separate emails is not very secure. If you can book it online, either through the hotels own website or through an agent such as hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity etc, this will be a more secure way way to part with your CC information.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 05:43 AM

Odin is right. Email isn't particularly secure, but it is also rarely intercepted. I wouldn't use two emails, that just doubles the issue and increases the probability that the hotel will print your email to have the info readily accessible. Hotel website, booking engine, or fax are preferable. The vast majority of hacks aren't as convoluted as stealing emails, they use people's own actions to gain access.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 06:13 AM

I do like Odin : everything via booking.com or hotels.com

In case of problems, I have found them more helfpful than the hotel.

My rules are therefore : never book with a third party for flights, always book via third party for hotel.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 07:18 AM

Understand this. Hacking of credit cards is a byproduct of 21st century life. But do bear in mind (especially if you're from the USA but true in other countries too)you have zero liability for fraud on credit card accounts so why worry? Yes, sending two separate e-mails is more secure but a bigger, to a degree, pain. You can always call in the cc details if you are paranoid about e mail. But is it worth it? Well only you can decide. If your credit card is hacked, it can easily be resolved so, at least in my opinion, why worry?
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 07:27 AM

I use the same rules as PARISWAT.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 07:45 AM

Giving the hotel your credit card info is a standard business practice. We do it for clients a dozen or more times each month, either through their booking service, or directly to the hotels front desk or management group. You can send your CC info using a secure PDF, but it's a waste of time in most cases.

If you have Visa, MC or Amex, you are protected. They will replace your card if anything goes wrong.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 08:15 AM

I do not know what the situation is where the OP is located but in Italy there are many banks etc which offer "carte ricaricabili" or debit cards which can be loaded with whatever amout you want up to a certain limit - generally 3000 or 5000 Euros but sometimes higher.

The great advantage of these cards is that you only put on them what you need so that if someone hacks into them, one way or another, your loss is limited to what remains on the card. In addition, many such cards can be linked to your phone so that you receive an SMS for every transaction above a certain amount - usually 200 Euros - as well as an SMS when anyone has tried to use the card - for whatever the amount - when the information provided was nor complete or erroneous.

If your card has been hacked in any way you can cancel it and immediately get a replacement. As I said, it is not limited to banks. Paypal issues such cards in Italy.

Do such cards exist in America or elsewhere?
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 08:17 AM

I don't understand why you wouldn't give it to them if you intend to give it to them when you stay there. I always use some secure booking site, although I have in the past (before so many hotels had online-booking sections), a few times. I did break it up in two parts once, but sometimes didn't because I really don't think there is any measurable risk of someone intercepting your email and finding your credit card number to use it, out of all the zillions of emails in the world being transmitted. Someone would have to read every email, also. When I put it in the email, I don't write it in a way that it could be automatically intercepted as being a CC number, either.

There isn't any risk, anyway, as noted as you aren't liable.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 08:38 AM

Christina and others

you may not be liable but if you need to replace your card this is always a pain especially if it happens when you are travelling.

also to follow up from my previous posting the most recent rechargeable cards also have an IBAN number so you can reload them by a bank transfer.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 08:56 AM

See whether the hotel has a web site that accepts credit cards; that's the most secure way.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 10:30 AM

"Do such cards exist in America" Yes, but why would anyone with an American or Canadian bank based CC have need of one?

Credit Cards, as well as ATM/debit cards, issued by American and Canadian based banks and credit unions, and foreign based banks doing business in North America, are protected by law. If your card is compromised, you are not responsible for any loss, and the card (Amex, VISA & MC) can be replaced within 48 hours in most cases.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 10:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes it's OK (usually required) to give the hotel your credit card information. If you feel email is not secure for this (1) use their website if possible, (2) send a FAX, (3) call them.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 02:32 PM

I want to add a warning here... yes if there is fraudulent use then the banks are supposed to help you but... two years ago in Venice our bank in Australia blocked our card because of fraudulent use (good on them for seeing it early) but the solution was for them to post us another card to our home address - not much help and we were lucky we travel with two cards.
Then last year we had another card hacked and 'someone' used it for purchases in Turkey. It took us 4 months of fighting with that bank to get our money back and it was only when I went to the ombudsman and threatened legal action that it came through.
Anyway I would never send CC details through emails and only use hotels' secure payment sites or third part booking agents like booking.com. In the case where a hotel has asked for these details I have explained the situation and in most cases the hotel owner has accepted it and just asked us to confirm regularly so they know we are definitely coming.
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback

We all have talked about the FRAUDS that may happen if someone gets hold of your CC details, but

One more thing that can happen is that the HOTEL itself may cheat and charge the card(before the time comes, although their policy is to Receive cash on arrival.

Any experience on this or suggestions

I have always been favouring Booking.com, but i see that while booking for ITALY AND PARIS , the hotel gives better discounts & prices & supplementary things and finally turns out cheaper if you book Directly through the hotel
Old Aug 28th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Another question i have is

I have observed that the HOTELS & BOOKING.COM both will check the card and if credit card details are wrong they say it cannot be PROCESSED

But if they process it, then wouldn't the card be charged immediately ?
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 02:13 AM

Asimm, you worry too much. If the hotel fraudulently charges your card, take it up with the CC company who will refund you. If hotels routinely did this, they would go out of business. If you give your card nr to secure a booking and it is charged immediately; again, you inform your CC company to reverse the charge.

You do need to regularly check you CC charges; but you probably do this anyway, since you are so worried about fraud.

In this day and age you cannot book hotels or flights without giving your CC nr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -