Giverny plus what else?

Sep 3rd, 2001, 05:09 PM
fran

Giverny plus what else?

We plan to take the early morning train to Vernon from Paris, spend a couple of hours at Giverny, and then....? Could use suggestions as to where else we can take train to for a few hours before returning to Paris.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 05:31 PM
Robin

Fran,I have not done this myself, but I recently saw a recommendation somewhere (maybe here?) for several other things to do in Vernon. This might be easier and less stressful than moving on to another major destination. Try a search on this forum, or maybe you cna find a web site than promotes the area around Giverny.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 05:39 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi
Les Andelys is fairly close by. You would need a car, or a cab though. It is about 8 miles from Giverny - so maybe it would not be so expensive.

Richard Coeur de Lion built it in the 13th century. It's a fortress which overlooks the Seine - waaaaaay high up! beautiful views...

Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:09 PM
elvira

We did Giverny/Versailles same day, but we had hired a car to take us from Paris for the whole day. It was the same price as train tickets, and the connections were terrible (read: impossible). If there are two or more of you, check into a car/driver for the day, and you can see Versailles (albeit only a half day), too.

Sep 3rd, 2001, 07:22 PM
Christina

I'd suggest Rouen -- it's just north about a 45 min by train from Vernon, right on the same train line, I think. Rouen is a very well-preserved medieval town with a nice old quarter (square, horloge, interesting architecture and cathedrals) and has Joan of Arc history (it's where she was burned) so a few things to see related to that. All that is within walking distance of the train station.

Sep 4th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Chris

We took a full day tour from Paris Vision about three years ago. About 10 hours total-half the time in Giverny
and the afternoon in Versailles.

This might be cheaper than renting a
car with driver.

Sep 4th, 2001, 09:46 AM
fran

Chris-How crowded was Giverny in the afternoon?

Sep 4th, 2001, 09:53 AM
elaine

If you do take a bus tour to Giverny
(and it's less expensive and quite easy to do it on your own)
then when the bus arrives at Fondation
Claude Monet, let the rest of the group start in the house, and you head straight through the gardens to the water lily pond. That way you will see it with a little more tranquility then when the whole bus group descends at once. You can then meander back through the gardens and see the house (and gift shop) at the end.
If you do it on your own, find out which days Paris Vision and Cityrama run their tours, and unless it's every day, choose a day, or a time of day, to go when they don't.

Sep 4th, 2001, 11:47 PM
kalena

We were early enough in the season that there weren't any tour buses at all, just school groups. Charming, but we still had to josstle for camera angles. There are some interesting villages nearby as mentioned above, but Versailles/Giverny just might be the ticket for the most efficient use of time. We drove, so can't advise you as to train connections.