How do you get a great hotel price?

Aug 17th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Lori

How do you get a great hotel price?

I've tried all the tricks, now I need some help. I am planning a trip to Paris the end of October. I want to stay at the Hotel du Louvre. I have tried the hotel website, 307.00 per night (breakfast additional) American Airlines site 289.00 per night (w/breakfast) Air France package (land only, and I'm still waiting on that price..)Concorde/prestige card (10-20% off rack rate) Anyone have a better idea?

Aug 17th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Wow

You have expensive tastes! Either you don't travel much or you have a lot more money than I do. I stayed at a wonderful hotel in Paris for under $100 per night. I can't imagine wasting that kind of money unless you or your significant other are made of it! I guess I'm cheap, but I am able to travel extensively because I am.

Aug 17th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Merriem

Well, I like wonderful hotels, but don't want to pay the high prices. I usually start at the website for the hotel and see what they offer. Next I check out other hotel booking sites, and I will e-mail the hotel directly. In Australia, we got stranded due to the Ex-Ritz Carlton there, and I called the Park Hyatt and got a room for 10 days at half the price I had been quoted before leaving. Also, ask for a discount. If all fails, then pay the price and enjoy yourself. Merriem

Aug 17th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Yes

yes, Wow, perhaps you are cheap or just don't value a nicer hotel room, and what's your point anyway? Simply to criticize someone with different income, priorities, and taste than you? Your post served no purpose. The idea that someone who wants to and can afford to spend $250-300 a night for a special vacation is "wasting" their money and should stay in a cheap hotel for less than $100 is wrong. Some 20-yr old student who stays in a ratty hostel could make the same remark to you. You are clearly very jealous, your post reeks of it, otherwise you would not feel the necessity to make such remarks about people who have a different lifestyle or budget than you, as you seem to want people to think you are better in some intrinsic moral manner than someone who would stay at the Hotel du Louvre. You are not. Perhaps you should learn to accept the fact that there are many people in the world with varying incomes and assets; if you don't accept this, you will never be happy. Also, it is wrong and/or ignorant to imply that a hotel for less than $100 is equivalent to a much nicer hotel.

Aug 17th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Wow

Yes,

How sweet of you to post a response! And your post serves what purpose? Mine was not a response as much as it was a troll, I suppose. As to my financial situation, if you only knew. I don't care whether you believe me or not, but I'm fortunate enough to be in the top 1% of income in America, so I would say that you have misinterpreted my post if you thought I was jealous of someone being able to spend $300 per night. I just think it's a waste of money. Also, think flying first class is a waste of money. Can't justify spending that kind of money for $750 per hour of flight. Could get a lot of satisfaction for that $750 per hour in other ways. In fact, Yes, you are telling on yourself. You haven't been to Paris recently, have you. The dollar is still strong enough that you could stay in a First Class hotel in Paris for 1/2 of what Lori was quoting.

I guess my bottom line is this, Yes, and thanks for asking: Why fly all the way over to Paris, stay in the most "touristy" (new word, ha!) part of Paris, spend $300 per night to stay with other rich Americans. Particularly if those Americans are anything like you! Touche'

Aug 17th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Wendy

Lori,

I think that this is the hotel my husband and I stayed at two years ago. It was an incredible disappointment, and quite run-down. Unless they've renovated, I'd be careful! SOrry to post such bad news!

Aug 17th, 2001, 02:04 PM
elaine

Lori
As you already know the Hotel du Louvre is a very nice hotel ( at least it was when I visited a friend who was staying there 2 years ago) and has prices to match. It sounds like you've done your homework on trying to stay there through a deal. I would be surprised if you could do much better there than the lower prices you've been quoted--my friends paid much more than $289.
Unless you are in some specialized group
(teachers, AARP, etc) that negotiated a special rate, my only other suggestion would be for you to try expedia.com or priceline.com to see if they (or a similar hotel discount website) has any kind of a web deal.

Aug 17th, 2001, 02:20 PM
xxx

Oh please WOW, you have jealousy and envy written all over your post.
Just because someone stays at nice place it does not mean that they go to tourist traps and that they stayed at hotels where only Americans go.

I usually stay at nice hotels because it is important for us to have nice comfortable rooms. However, we usually end up going to areas were the locals only go, we take the metro, walk, eat at cheap restaurants. We go to clubs and bars at night where only locals go, even though they are far away, we vist places that are considered bad or not enticing to tourists. Then we return to the hotel.
What is your problem, just because you consider it a waste, it does not mean it is a waste to the person spending the money. People can do with their money whatever they want.
You are full of it.

Aug 17th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Lori

As one Lori to another (I have been to Paris a lot and post often on this Forum) I've stayed at this hotel once. The rooms vary considerably .. if you get a nice one Great .. if you don't not so great. It's been remodeled, etc. and the location is super but I think there are nicer (and less expensive) places to stay in Paris. How one chooses to spend their money is a private thing however, so if you go enjoy yourself!

Aug 17th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Wow

XXX,

I'll bet you wear your cute little fanny pack too!

Don't take yourself too seriously.

Caoi

Aug 17th, 2001, 02:55 PM
xxx

Please, WOW, fanny packs are for weirdos and they are so ugly. They are grotesque, each time we see one of those on somebody we start laughing, they are morbid.

I do not even wear a money belt, there is not need to wear any of that while walking around. What for? They look ridiculous.

Aug 17th, 2001, 03:14 PM
kimbuys

I search Expedia, Hotel websites, frequent flyer airline websites, and email the hotels directly. I also call the hotel 800#'s and the hotels directly. It never ceases to amaze me the vast difference in rates - for the same property - same dates. I just went through this exercise for my Sept trip to Paris.

Aug 17th, 2001, 03:16 PM
anon

Focus dears!

I agree how one wants to spend one's own money is one's own business. However - friends who went to Hawaii to celebrate there 10th anniversary stayed at the Four Seasons and the W - something like $500 a night - they were there for 10 days. It was their first time to Hawaii and they spent most of their time at the hotels - being pampered. (And for $500 a night they better pamper my ass without question as far as I'm concerned) I do wonder what the point is in spending $300 on a room that you only use basically to shower and sleep in if you're traveling - seeing the sights, eating out, etc. My friends who went to hawaii were more on a romantic getaway than traveling expedition. Once again - to each there own.
Spending a lot of money doesn't gaurantee exquisite accomdations (so that you can gosh darn to your friends back home about). And invariably people who are spendng a lot think they can be loud and obnoxious and throw temper tantrums (to which i would respond with either a good slap or punch - not depending upon sex)
I will say that luxurious accomodations can't make up for poor service - which once again is something that money doesn't gaurantee.
Buyer beware. I know people who've spent plenty and gotten crap - reread "The Emperor's New Clothes"

Aug 17th, 2001, 03:19 PM
jake

To answer the op's question... I would suggest calling your travel agent and asking them if they can get a better price through their supplier. We have done this before with great success. Ask them to try Avanti or DER. I know for a fact that Avanti carries that hotel. They usually have lower rates on blocks of rooms. The price usually includes transfers from the airport or a short city tour and breakfast.

As for everyone else, I can see all points. Yes, more expensive hotels, especially in Paris, tend to be occupied mainly by Americans. But if you have money you should be able to spend it however you wish. And you will find that many people who are well-off or "within the top 1%" income-wise hold onto their money a little tighter. That may be why they have more of it...

Aug 17th, 2001, 03:32 PM
lara

Anon,
You wrote: "And invariably people who are spendng a lot
think they can be loud and
obnoxious and throw temper tantrums (to which i would respond with either a good slap or punch - not depending upon sex),"

You sound like a jealous person (holding grudges). What do you care what people do with their money? And it is not true that people who spend more money throw tantrums, that is just a very stupid inmature comment.

I have never thrown tantrums, and I know a lot of people who travel and spend and do not throw tantrums either. I do not have time for tantrums, and trivial stupidities like that. First of all I do not think I am spending a lot, second I do not think just because I am paying for a nice hotel that gives me the right to throw tantrums and disrespect people. I really do not even care how much I spend, it can be very little, it can be a lot, all I care is that I am enjoying myself.

And to Jake, you can hold on to your money and make money more money and at the same time spend, really $300 is not that much money!
And no we do not spend all day in the hotel being pampered. It seems like you Anon will throw a tamtrum if you spend some money and do not get exactly what you want, it seems you will demand things of people if you are spending a lot of money.

Lara

Aug 17th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Jane

I might try calling the hotel directly(or have a travel agent call). If you get a kind voice at the other end, tell them it's a special occasion you've really been looking forward to. Believe me, stranger things have happened.

Since you're getting into the low season by then, for $300 at the end of October, you might even be able to negotiate with one of the other high-end right-bank hotels like the Crillon or Meurice.(Though I know that Paris is almost always busy now).

Good luck, and try to ignore the trolls!

Aug 17th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Diane

I wish I could afford $300 a night for lodging, and if I could, I would do it! Where I stay has a lot to do with how I feel about my trip overall. And sometimes you are paying more for a more desirable location.

If I could fly first class I'd do that too. In my opinion, first class is MUCH better than flying in the cattle car airlines now call coach. Not too long ago I flew from LAX to Miami in first class on a three class plane. It was one of the most enjoyable flights I've ever taken. It did a lot to enhance my trip.

Once I was able to negotiate a room rate down substantially by emailing the hotel directly and creating a dialogue. They finally agreed to give us their highest priced room at the same rate as a lower category room.

Aug 18th, 2001, 06:30 AM
li

I will be satying at the Concorde Du Louvre for a week in early September. I'll report what I thought when I get back. Lori, email me and I will tell you the name of the reservations manager. The rates you have been quoted seem a little high. I blocked six rooms at the rate of $270. The hotel is supposed to be lovely. I decided to saty there based on the suggestion of a European. You do not read much about it on this site because it is not very popular with Americans. Frommers lists it as a "best bet" for a historic hotel. In response to another poster, I satyed at the Maui Four Seasons at the rate of $25 a night; it was incredible. We can't wait to go back. Even at that rate, we thought it was a bargain. Like some of you, I would never pay to to fly first class, but if someone else wants to, that's their choice.

Aug 18th, 2001, 08:18 AM
maxmarch

Try this link.
http://francevacations.net/
It is legit and easy to find many travel packages, etc.

Aug 18th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Tracey

Wow - I bet you never realized what a can of worms you'd open.... I've been looking around for good rates myself and have been looking at www.hoteldiscounts.com and www.lastminute.com. At the home page for one of those you can also try your 'what's related' key on your tool bar and see what else is around for discounted hotel sites. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO