Giverny or Dijon?

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:26 PM
lze

Giverny or Dijon?

Hello, We are on our way to Paris in 2 weeks and have been thinking of doing a side trip one day at least. We will only be there a week total. Has anyone been to Dijon or Giverny and what would your recommendation be if indeed you have visited both? Will we be able to visit some wine caves say in Dijon? Any info you can pass along will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Lori

Depends on what you are looking for. Giverny is gorgeous, and if you appreciate Monet's work, you will be blown away by seeing where it happened. Dijon is a city, smaller than Paris, with a few museums and sights to see. I don't recall all that many wine caves in Dijon, most of them were in Beaune and the surrounding area.

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Fred

They're apples and oranges. Dijon is a city, Giverny is Monet's house and gardens. Personally I would go to Giverny, as cities are not my favorites (except for Paris). Easy to get to Giverny - You have to take a train from Gare St. Lazare to the town of Vernon ($26 round trip), then take a cab ($12) or bus to his house. The train trip takes anywhere from 50 minutes to 1 hr 35 minutes depending on the train. Paris Visions has a tour - costs about $61 and takes about 4 1/2 hours. The gardens are unbelieveable and you get to see all those water lilies he painted and his house and famous kitchen. Open April-Oct. Closed on Mondays. Well worth going. Tel:011-33-2-32-51-28-21. Also plan to visit the Impressionist Museum across the road and to the left a bit.
For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:22 AM
B

It depends on what you want, as both Giverny and Dijon are different. Monet's house and gardens are beautiful. I like Dijon is for the food. I do not recall any wine caves in Dijon though. You would have to travel further south. However, if you are interested in champagne, you may like to check out Reims or Epernay. Both are easily reached from Paris as well.

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:24 AM
WineCaves

If wine caves are your main interest, you're on the wrong track, but Dijon and surrounding area would be a better bet than Giverny.