Search

Giverny by car

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giverny by car

We are returning to Paris for a six day trip in two weeks. We'd like to drive to Giverny for a day (yes, I know, we can take the train) but the car rental rates are sky high. I looked at Avis using my corporate rate and was quoted $180 for one day. Auto Europe was even higher. I could take the train to Vernon and rent a car there but it seems like a lot of bother for such a short period. Any suggestions on where I can find a better rate?
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:55 PM

An alternative suggestion would be a tour with a company that has the minivan option. We were very happy with that choice in 2002, when it cost $60 per person. It was a very relaxing way to visit Giverny.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Several years ago four of us wanted to do the day trip to Giverny and wanted to rent a car. When I checked in advance I found what you did, mr_travelwell -- sky high prices. Part of this is because some companies (including AutoEurope) usually only do a three day minimum or charge you for it regardless. After we got to Paris, I stopped in at Avis at St. Sulpice and got a one day rental (fairly large car) for about $50. No problem. It was also nice because we could return the car any time, even after hours, by just parking it in their space in the big underground garage. We ended up leaving early in the morning, arriving at Giverny for coffee and pastry in the garden across the road before Giverny opened, afterwards, we drove to Honfleur for lunch, after a stop to hike the cliffs at Etretat, and did a late afternoon stop in Pont Audemer. It was a wonderful day, and one we couldn't have done so well without a car.

So the bottom line is, that although normally I think you get a better car rental deal booking in advance, it is worth a try to see about one when you get there.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 01:16 PM

If you decide to go by train, you can get a taxi at the Vernon station and arrange for it to return and pick you up later; usually the driver will give you a card with the telephone number.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. Underhill, any recollection as to the cost of the taxis? Thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
And if you are going to be there all day, go to The American Museum and The Ancient Hotel Baudy now only a resteraunt and museum(the Amercan painters lived here when they visited Monet)
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 10:34 AM

If you just want to get to Giverny, there is a bus service from the train station in Vernon to the parking lot in Giverny, and back, and I think the cost was one or two euros.